none
SQL Server Compact doesn't work on Windows 10

Question

• Hello,

I have an app using SQL CE Compact 4 with OLE DB in C++.

It has always worked and still works perfectly from XP to Windows 7 (I have a dual boot Windows 7/Windows 10 to test)

But on Windows 10, it doesn't work anymore.

It fails at
    IDBProperties::SetProperties with
    DBPROPSET_DBINIT
    returning    
    DB_S_ERRORSOCCURRED

And the property which fails is
    DBPROP_AUTH_INTEGRATED
    returning
    DBPROP.dwStatus = DBPROPSTATUS_NOTSUPPORTED

I uninstalled/reinstalled SQL SSCERuntime, but nothing changed.

Same thing for SQLite/Sql Server Compact Toolbox add-in which doesn't work in VS 2015 on Windows 10,

I cannot even create a new database

I get :

Thanks for any idea...

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 12:28 PM

All replies

• Hi Castorix31,

I tested it on Windows10 Enterprise Edition Version 1607 - 64-bit platform, based on my test, SQL Server Compact 4.0 SP1 can work normally on Windows10. Please refer to the following picture:

According to your description, this problem can be caused in two scenarios, one is permission and another is broken file.

1. Please go to the installation directory, check if the account you used to run the application has permission on this file and the folder.
    2. You mentioned that you have reinstalled SQL SSCERuntime, have you used another installation media? You can try to copy a sqlcese40.dll from another machine and try it again.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 6:33 AM
  • 1. Please go to the installation directory, check if the account you used to run the application has permission on this file and the folder.

2. You mentioned that you have reinstalled SQL SSCERuntime, have you used another installation media? You can try to copy a sqlcese40.dll from another machine and try it again.

Thanks for answering.

I make my tests with an Administrator account and I have permission on all files.

And I embed sqlcese40.dll and other DLLs as resource of my executable, that I extract at start-up if not present, so sqlcese40.dll is the same as in Windows 7 where it works fine.

I also copied my executable in the installation directory of SQL Server CE 4 to test without extracting the DLLs (because it detects that they are present), but same problem, DBPROP_AUTH_INTEGRATED returns "not supported" on Windows 10 but works on all other OS

Wednesday, March 01, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Hi Castorix31,

Have you checked it on other Windows 10 machine?

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 06, 2017 9:25 AM
  • No, I have only a dual boot Windows 7/Windows 10

But It works on other Windows 10 machines, because my application is a freeware and users have no problem on any configuration.

I made other tests with the tool SQL Compact Query Analyzer

Same bug on sqlcese40.dll with SQL Server CE 4.0,

but no bug with SQL Server CE 3.5 (I can create/open 3.5 .sdf dtabases, but not 4.0)

There seems to be a sort of security problem with sqlcese40.dll  on my Windows 10 only, but impossible to find...

Monday, March 06, 2017 10:09 AM
  • You SQL Compact 4.0 installation is broken, please re-install

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:41 AM
  • You SQL Compact 4.0 installation is broken, please re-install

It was the first thing I had done (SSCERuntime_x64-FRA.exe),

although my software doesn't even need any installation because I extract from resources and I call the DLLs dynamically.

It changed nothing.

• Edited by Castorix31 Sunday, June 18, 2017 7:08 PM
    Sunday, June 18, 2017 7:08 PM