none
SQL Studio Manager 2017 can't restore any database! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello folks!

I am facing unusual issue with restore any database through SQL Studio Manager.

I have downloaded AdventureWorks 2012, 2014 and AdventureWorks2016CTP3 databases and I am not able to restore any of those!

Does anybody know what's going on?

Sunday, July 23, 2017 7:23 PM

All replies

• what is the error message you are getting

You installaed on 2017 SSMS? without having DB engine how come the database will restore?

From which version of DB you are trying to restore., without any error message, we are clu less to help you.

Thanks.

Thanks, Satish Kumar. Please mark as this post as answered if my anser helps you to resolves your issue :)

Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:08 PM
  • I am facing unusual issue with restore any database through SQL Studio Manager.

I have downloaded AdventureWorks 2012, 2014 and AdventureWorks2016CTP3 databases and I am not able to restore any of those!

Does anybody know what's going on?

If I know what is going on? You are attempting to restore some databases and you are not able to succeed with this. That is all I know, because that is all that you have told me.

If you want better help, you need to give better diagnostics. Show use the RESTORE command you are using. (Or give screenshots if you are using the UI.) And most of all, post any error message you are getting.

Sunday, July 23, 2017 8:40 PM
  • Actually, I don't get any error.

I can select database (AdventureWorks2016CTP3.bat) from Download folder and after I select it and press "OK" nothing happens.

On the second picture as you can see I can't press "OK" button, it has gray color.

Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:27 PM
  • I have tried to restore it from "Database", also tried from "System Databases" but without success.

Do I have, maybe, wrong version of AdventureWorks?

Moreover, I downloaded and tried "WideWorldImporters" database but the same thing.

I use SQL Server Studio Manager v17.0.

Thanks people!

• Edited by tocy Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:33 PM
    Sunday, July 23, 2017 10:33 PM
  • Hello,

locate the backup file in a folder, where SQL Server Service account do have at least read permissions for, e.g. in BACKUP subfolder of the SQL Server installation; but not in your profile folder, where only you have permissions for and noone else.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, July 24, 2017 6:03 AM

I can select database (AdventureWorks2016CTP3.bat) from Download folder and after I select it and press "OK" nothing happens.

On the second picture as you can see I can't press "OK" button, it has gray color.

======================================================

In the screens, the destination database was selected as MODEL database. You cann't restore it to system databases.

Why can't you try with restore command

restore database <<DBNAME>> from disk = 'C:\test.bak'

Thanks, Satish Kumar. Please mark as this post as answered if my anser helps you to resolves your issue :)

Monday, July 24, 2017 6:08 AM
  • Hello,

locate the backup file in a folder, where SQL Server Service account do have at least read permissions for, e.g. in BACKUP subfolder of the SQL Server installation; but not in your profile folder, where only you have permissions for and noone else.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

I tried and this option but nothing!
    Monday, July 24, 2017 6:16 AM

In the screens, the destination database was selected as MODEL database. You cann't restore it to system databases.

No, I have tried, also, few queries to restore database and always get the same error.

Monday, July 24, 2017 6:22 AM
  • Hello,

You are runing SQL Server build 10.50.4042 = Version 2008 R2, you can not restore a backup from a newer Version, like 2012, to an older one.

Use a backup for 2008R2 or install a newer SQL Server Version.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, July 24, 2017 6:29 AM

No, I have tried, also, few queries to restore database and always get the same error.

hi,

as per error message., two things 

1) You are trying to restore higher version of sql backup file to lower version

or

2) backup file is corrupted

Can you please execute the below commands

1. restore verifyonly from disk = 'c:\test.bak'

2. RESTORE HEADERONLY FROM DISK = 'C:\test.BAK'

3. select @@version --of your sql server.

and post the results please....

Monday, July 24, 2017 6:50 AM

• Edited by tocy Monday, July 24, 2017 6:27 PM
    Monday, July 24, 2017 6:27 PM
  • As Olaf said, you cannot restore backups from SQL 2012 or higher on your instance which is running SQL 2008 R2.

Monday, July 24, 2017 9:33 PM
  • OK then. I'll try with new version for SQL Server and come back here with new info.

Monday, July 24, 2017 10:18 PM
  • I have stuck here.

Really, what should I need to do to install this damn SQL Server?

Monday, July 24, 2017 11:04 PM
  • You selected the installer for a SQL Server Service Pack (= update), not for SQL Server itself.

You can e.g. use free Express Edition: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sql-server/sql-server-editions-express

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:54 AM

• Hi As per the error message, you cann't restore higher version of SQL DB's to lower versions. Why cann't to donwload your current version of Adventure work DB's from MSDN and do restore?

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 3:48 PM
  • Your user on <g class="gr_ gr_9 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="9" id="9">sql</g> server must be <g class="gr_ gr_55 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="55" id="55"><g class="gr_ gr_54 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="54" id="54">sysadmin</g> !</g> 
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 1:00 PM