none
Publication Error RRS feed

• Question

• When looking at the replication monitor, a message may appear under the ‘status’ column of the subscription watch tab that displays the message ‘not running expiring/expired soon’., then we started Distribution agent then everything went fine.

Why this problem occur? how to monitor these kind of issue and what could be the reson?

We didn't get any alert for this issue.

"not running expired/expiring soon" 

We are using :  

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP4) - 10.0.6000.29 (X64) 
    Sep  3 2014 04:11:34 
    Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation
    Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.0 <X64> (Build 6002: Service Pack 2)

• Edited by VijayKSQL Tuesday, August 1, 2017 5:23 PM add
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 5:11 PM

Answers

• personal opinion: sometimes replication monitor can be wrong, and i've seen similar issue appears and then disappear after a while, is that what you are seeing?
    • Marked as answer by VijayKSQL Thursday, September 7, 2017 6:53 PM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:33 AM

All replies

• Hope this article gives some explanations:

Subscription Expiration and Deactivation

A Fan of SSIS, SSRS and SSAS

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:06 PM
  • Already having setting called Subscription never expires.
    Tuesday, August 1, 2017 7:15 PM
  • as I understand the distribution agent job just stopped? (completed).

to avoid distribution agent to complete u may modify job steps in distribution agent job. In second step on Success modify it to go back to Step 1. This will not allow job to Complete and be stopped.

as for "expiring/expired soon" even if u set subscription never expires. Subscription also depends on the retention settings on your distributor. The subscription will be "invalid" or expire if distribution agent will be stopped longer than your max value on Distribution cleanup (the commands will be remove from distribution db before delivered to subscriber)

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:05 AM
  • In my environment the setting are like this.

although why we got status expiring/expired soon in replicaiton monitor under publisher 

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 11:41 PM
  • personal opinion: sometimes replication monitor can be wrong, and i've seen similar issue appears and then disappear after a while, is that what you are seeing?
    • Marked as answer by VijayKSQL Thursday, September 7, 2017 6:53 PM
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 2:33 AM