none
Layout of more than 3 chart areas RRS feed

• Question

• I need to display 5 different chart areas in a top-down layout. The first 3 chart areas layout as expected. However, once I add a 4th area, it starts to layout more like a grid.

Basically it seems to be doing this:

[Chart Area 1] [Chart Area 4]

[Chart Area 2] [Chart Area 5]

[Chart Area 3]

But I need this:

[Chart Area 1] 

[Chart Area 2] 

[Chart Area 3]

[Chart Area 4]

[Chart Area 5]

Is there any kind of layout properties that can achieve this?

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 2:37 AM

Answers

• Are you saying to put charts into a table? I guess that would work, but chart areas seem to be the intended way. And I'm not sure whether I can get the axes to line up properly that way anyway.

I did just find a way that appears to work, but it seems a bit weird. For each chart area:

1. Set AlignOrientation to Vertical

2. Set AlignType for both InnerPlotPosition and Position to True

3. Set AlignWithChartArea to one of the other areas. I'm not sure if it matters which area

4. Enable CustomPosition

5. Try to figure out appropriate values for Height/Left/Top/Width for CustomPosition

The weird thing is trying to come up with CustomPosition values. I guess it works, but it's disappointing that more than 3 chart areas won't keep laying out the same.

• Marked as answer by uler3161 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:05 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Have you, in the design, put them one by one as needed? You could drag the boarder of the design area and drag the chart down and put them sequentially.

Or did you mean the layout in preview?

IF so, try change the column property to 1 in report properties:

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:06 AM
  • Are you saying to put charts into a table? I guess that would work, but chart areas seem to be the intended way. And I'm not sure whether I can get the axes to line up properly that way anyway.

I did just find a way that appears to work, but it seems a bit weird. For each chart area:

1. Set AlignOrientation to Vertical

2. Set AlignType for both InnerPlotPosition and Position to True

3. Set AlignWithChartArea to one of the other areas. I'm not sure if it matters which area

4. Enable CustomPosition

5. Try to figure out appropriate values for Height/Left/Top/Width for CustomPosition

The weird thing is trying to come up with CustomPosition values. I guess it works, but it's disappointing that more than 3 chart areas won't keep laying out the same.

• Marked as answer by uler3161 Wednesday, October 16, 2019 4:05 AM
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:16 AM
  • Hi,

At first I didn't fully clear about your situation so I give advice based on my understanding.

Anyway,glad that you have resolved the issue, cheers!

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:34 AM