'.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character.


  • I am having a strange issue. We are trying upgrade to SQL 2008 R2. In the process we are trying to deploy Report Model to the R2 server.
    When I try to deploy the report model to R2 server I get the error...
    Error 102 The semantic model is not valid. Details: '.', hexadecimal value 0x00, is an invalid character. Line 90027, position 17. C:\Projects\Report Model\Lending.smdl 0 0 

    The projects are in Visual Studio 2008 and deploy just fine on SQL 2005 server. The only thing I change is the TargetServerURL to try and deploy to SQL 2008 R2 and it failed with the error shown above.

    The strange part is if I create a new VS 2008 project for Report Model and copy all the data source view code and the Report Model code and now deploy the Report Model from the new project to the same SQL 2008 R2 server, I get no errors. I don't have this issue on all projects but on projects that have typically large report models.

    SQL 2005 is enterprise 64 bit on SP3 on windows 2003 Enterprise server sp2. SQL 2008 R2 is enterprise 64 bit on windows 2008 R2 enterprise server.

    Any one had similar experience?

    Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:05 PM

All replies

  • Hi RMehta,


    As you may know, Business Intelligence Development Studio(BIDS) deploys a report in this way:"

                    1. BIDS sends a byte array of report definition to SQL Server Reporting Services web services.

                    2. SQL Server Reporting Services web services stored the report definition in the Report Server.

    Generally, the size of the byte array is equal to the size of the report file(.rdl). In case the length of the byte array is longer than the file size, we will get the error you mentioned.


    In this case, it seems BIDS 2008 creates a byte array for large report model(typically), which is 1 byte longer than the file size.


    I have tried to reproduce the issue, however, everything works fine as expected. I would suggest you installing BIDS 2008 R2, and then trying to deploy the report model again.

    To install BIDS 2008 R2, please select BIDS from components while installing SQL Server 2008 R2.


    Also, the issue may be only caused by some models. In order to check this issue, we need an in-house reproduce. So, if possible, could you please send me the report models project?

    You could send the file to with the thread title.


    Alternatively, you could use the Fillder(a third-party HTTP tool) to capture the message that the BIDS sends to the Report Server. We can get the report model definition from the HTTP message.

                    Inspectors >> TextView


    If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.



    Jin Chen

    Jin Chen - MSFT
    Monday, June 28, 2010 3:50 AM
  • Jin Chen, Thank you for your reply.
    I have been using VS2008 professional SP1 for the report model project not BIDS 2008 R2.
    Are you suggestion I uninstall that and install BIDS2008 R2?

    I will send you the code for both a project that works and one that does not.

    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:46 PM
  • Hi RMehta,

    Thank you very much for your mail.

    I have tried to reproduce the issue in the following environment:
    1. Windows Server 2008 + BIDS 2008 SP1 CU6, deploy report to SQL Server 2008 R2.
    2. Windows Server 2008 + BIDS 2008, deploy report to SQL Server 2008 R2.
    3.Windows Server 2008 + BIDS 2008 R2, deploy report to SQL Server 2008 R2.

    All works fine.

    It seems there is some other reasons, which causes the file stream to be one byte missed. I will try to find it out.

    "Are you suggestion I uninstall that and install BIDS2008 R2?" Yes. If possible, could you please try it? Thank you for your cooperation!

    Besides, I just get a zip file named "". Is it correct?

    Jin Chen


    Jin Chen - MSFT
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Thank you Jin Chen for your reply.

    I was able to resolve this. I am a little embarrased cause firstly this error occurred due to something I did and secondly I should have figured it out sooner. But I am posting this to be fair to those who tried to help and so that somebody else does not do the same mistake.

    Typically what I did to preserve the reports and subscriptions of users, I copied the ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB database from one SQL 2005 server to another and it worked fine. I presumed incorrectly that it would work if I restored the databases from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 R2. It seemed like it worked cause all the reports, folder and report models were available.

    Then I started getting errors when trying to run and existing report or creatign new report using report models. That's when I should have realised it and restored the original reporting database back.

    I tried to deply the report models from the project directly from the visual studio project too and was still getting the error. The only time I did not get an error is if I did not deployed to a the original folder. That's when it dawned on me and I created new report server database and had no further issues.

    Thank you for trying to help.

    Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:12 PM