none
SSIS send mail task RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

how can i create a local smtp server to test the send mail Task, i dont want to use the script task .

Thanks in advance

Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hi CarlaSX,

The SSIS has Send Mail Task out-of-the-box. It cannot send an e-mail in HTML format

Send Mail Task

You cannot create a local SMTP server on a desktop machine.

It is possible to use remote gmail, yahoo, Office 365, etc. SMTP servers. You just need an account with them.

Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:38 PM
  • thanks for your reply

if i cant create a local stmp server, how can i use send mail task because i have to specify a SMTPConnection? 

Thursday, September 26, 2019 1:47 PM
  • Hi Carla,

Sending an email involves a client.

Furthermore, an SMTP protocol is a "simple" email communication which only allows outbound (e.i. send) emails only.

You do need to specify a valid and working SMTP connection to send emails means you need to test the connectivity out because oftentimes SSIS is placed behind firewalls and no SMTP ports would be open.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Thursday, September 26, 2019 2:19 PM
  • Hi CarlaSX,

The following link will be helpful:

Sending mail within SSIS - Part 1: Send Mail Task

Best Regards,

Mona

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, September 27, 2019 3:10 AM
  • how can i create a local smtp server

Do you mean to install/Setup a SMTP Server on your local machine? Then SSIS is the wrong forum. Try https://www.hmailserver.com/

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, September 27, 2019 5:38 AM
  • Thank for your replies, i'm going to install  https://www.hmailserver.com/ as a local SMTP.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 7:15 AM
  • To test the email functionality one does not need to install a SMTP server Carla. It would be enough to test it against your email account or alike.

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 1:35 PM