none
Error Loading Task. The Contact Informaiton For the Task is "". This Happens When Loading a Task Fails.

Question

• Can someone help with the diagnosis of these errors?

I'm receiving the following error when opening a SSIS package:

Error loading a task.  The contact information for the task is "".  This happens when loading a task fails.

The task in question is a custom control flow task.  The DLL is in the ...\Tasks and ...\V2.0...\ folders.  It was also registered to the GAC and is strongly typed.

Attempting to delete the task results in the error:

Cannot remove the specified item because it was not foun in the specified collection.

Next, I click OK and close the package where I'm prompted to save the file.  I choose yes and the package closes as expected.  Surprisingly, the custom task is gone when I reopen the package. 

Finally, I add the custom task to the control flow.  No validation or other errors are presented at this point.   So, I run the package and encounter this error:

Error: 0x0 at Generate Snapthot, Generate Snapshot: Parameter validation failed. It is not possible to provide valid values for all parameters. ---> Parameter validation failed. It is not possible to provide valid values for all parameters. ---> Parameter validation failed. It is not possible to provide valid values for all parameters.

I'm not sure what's going on here.  I had previously changed the assembly version from 1.0.0.4 to 0.0.0.0.  Since that change, I resigned the application by generating a new *.SNK file, copying the DLL files to the appropriate folders, and added the new task to the toolbox and the package.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:01 PM

Answers

• The first two errors are related, you cannot find the task. A guess, but have you changed the namespace ro assembly version? This would change the strong name of the assembly which is stored in the packge (XML) and is used to load the task when you open the package.

We covered this on a previous thread. If this is an old package that would account for the error. View the XMLl and compare with the current assembly in the GAC, I'll guess that the package has a different assembly version, maybe from the other day when you had changed the assembly version.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:45 PM

All replies

• For what it's worth... here's the code from the Validate method of the custom task:

Code Snippet

Public Overrides Function Validate(ByVal connections As Connections, _

ByVal variableDispenser As VariableDispenser, _

ByVal events As IDTSComponentEvents, _

ByVal log As IDTSLogging) As DTSExecResult

Try

If Not connections.Contains("SQL.net.ODRExtract") Then

events.FireError(0, "GenerateSnapshot", "Required connection SQL.net.ODRExtract is missing from Package.", "", 0)

' Fail validation.

Return DTSExecResult.Failure

End If

If Not variableDispenser.Contains("reportServer") Then

events.FireError(0, "GenerateSnapshot", "Required string variable reportServer is missing from the package.", "", 0)

' Fail validation.

End If

If Not variableDispenser.Contains("reportName") Then

events.FireError(0, "GenerateSnapshot", "Required string variable reportName is missing from the package.", "", 0)

' Fail validation.

End If

' Return success.

Return DTSExecResult.Success

Catch exception As System.Exception

' Capture exceptions, post an error, and fail validation.

events.FireError(0, "Generate Snapshot", exception.Message, "", 0)

End Try

End Function

Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:55 PM
  •  Orlanzo wrote:

Error: 0x0 at Generate Snapthot, Generate Snapshot: Parameter validation failed. It is not possible to provide valid values for all parameters. ---> Parameter validation failed. It is not possible to provide valid values for all parameters. ---> Parameter validation failed. It is not possible to provide valid values for all parameters.

After some investigating, I found this error was actually coming from reporting services (I'm calling some methods for it through its web service interface.).  I'm still unclear about the first two errors though.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:47 PM
  • The first two errors are related, you cannot find the task. A guess, but have you changed the namespace ro assembly version? This would change the strong name of the assembly which is stored in the packge (XML) and is used to load the task when you open the package.

We covered this on a previous thread. If this is an old package that would account for the error. View the XMLl and compare with the current assembly in the GAC, I'll guess that the package has a different assembly version, maybe from the other day when you had changed the assembly version.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:45 PM
  •  DarrenSQLIS wrote:

Yes, that was the problem.  After our conversation yesterday, I just changed the assembly version to its prior values and kept the original snk file.  It looks like that wasn't enough.  I generated a new key file today and won't be touching the assembly version number again :-)  Only the file version from now on!

Thanks again for your help and the quick response Darren.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:05 PM