none
Can I restored TDE backup database to a non-enterprise SQL Server? RRS feed

• Question

• I have TDE .bak files and I like to restore it to a non-enterprise SQL Server. Will I be able to restore? This is only for testing purposes only. Thanks!
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:29 AM

All replies

• No, not really. You can perform the restore, but you won't be able to Access any data/object.

If it's only for testing, then you can use the free Developer Edition, which has the same Feature set as Enterprise.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:48 AM
  • I have TDE .bak files and I like to restore it to a non-enterprise SQL Server. Will I be able to restore? This is only for testing purposes only. Thanks!
    I have not done that but I believe unless you remove TDE from source database it would not be possible. To restore TDE database you need certificates and when you restore it will flash error message about edition restriction. You need to take backup restore it on other EE database then remove TDE, backup again and then restore

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:59 AM
  • Thank you for all the help. I guess I will use the Developer edition then. I just want to make sure I'm able to restore the TDE database and practice only.
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:06 PM
  • Hi Charlie2,

SQL Server Developer Edition has the same feature as Enterprise. You can restore the TDE .bak files  from Enterprise edition on it.  You must retain copies of both the certificate file and the private key file in order to recover the certificate. The password for the private key does not have to be the same as the database master key password. Restore it on the target instance .

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, October 11, 2019 6:55 AM