none
How to Fix DB Crash issues in SQL Server R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We were recently adding the new features in the Development environment where they were adding the analysis and reporting services features to the already existing instance. This really landed us in unknown problem. After successful installation of adding the both the features to that instances, we have restarted the server and suddenly all the services are stopped. No reason why it happened. While tyring to start  the instance we are getting the below issue.

This is what I am getting. Please advise me how I could come out of this issue. I found MSDB, Master, Resource other DB crashed per event log. I have all backups but I am not able to start the SQL server to restore them. Please advise.

"THE REQUEST FAILED OR THE SERVICE DID NOT RESPOND IN A TIMELY FASHION CONSULT EVENT LOG OR OTHER APPLICABLE ERROR LOG DETAILS "

Suggestion/support for this issue is highly appreciated. 

Thanks, Momen

Thank you... MOMEN

• Edited by Momen Azmath Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:47 PM Screenshot not showing so typing the error
    • Moved by Tom PhillipsModerator Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:12 PM Better engine forum question (From:Transact-SQL)
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:43 PM

Answers

• Restore the backup of the model database on another SQL Server instance and name it something else, similar to how you would restore any user database. Make sure that you have the same version of the database engine between the source and the destination, otherwise, you risk upgrading the database version. After restoring the backup, copy the MDF and LDF files to the damaged model database, renaming them as the original MDF and LDF files; model.mdf and modellog.ldf, respectively. Overwrite the database files (make a backup before overwriting) and restart the SQL Server service.

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

• Marked as answer by Momen Azmath Monday, September 3, 2012 9:52 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 8:59 PM

All replies

• Please post the entire errorlog file.  The error log is located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\{instance directory}\MSSQL\Log.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:19 PM
  • Thanks Tom !!

Here are the errors shown in the log which i could not understand...

FCB::Open failed: Could not open file e:\sql10_main_t.obj.x86fre\sql\mkmastr\databases\objfre\i386\model.mdf for file number 1.  OS error: 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

FileMgr::StartLogFiles: Operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.) occurred while creating or opening file 'e:\sql10_main_t.obj.x86fre\sql\mkmastr\databases\objfre\i386\modellog.ldf'. Diagnose and correct the operating system error, and retry the operation.

Thanks

Momen

Thank you... MOMEN

Friday, August 31, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Looking at the error message, your model database is corrupted. Can you make sure that your modellog.ldf file is stored in the location mentioned? Also, do you have a backup of the model database? 

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Yep. I have the backup of all the System Dabases. The problem here is it is not allowing me to start the SQL instance itself to do the restore. Please let me know how it could be done.

Thanks so much for your involvement in troubleshooting the issue in advance.

Thank, Momen

Thank you... MOMEN

Friday, August 31, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Restore the backup of the model database on another SQL Server instance and name it something else, similar to how you would restore any user database. Make sure that you have the same version of the database engine between the source and the destination, otherwise, you risk upgrading the database version. After restoring the backup, copy the MDF and LDF files to the damaged model database, renaming them as the original MDF and LDF files; model.mdf and modellog.ldf, respectively. Overwrite the database files (make a backup before overwriting) and restart the SQL Server service.

• Marked as answer by Momen Azmath Monday, September 3, 2012 9:52 AM
    Friday, August 31, 2012 8:59 PM
  • Edwin, It worked like a charm .... You are awesome... Thanks a bunch for your suggestion on troubleshooting the issue.

Thanks

Momen

Thank you... MOMEN

Monday, September 3, 2012 9:52 AM
  • With this experience, make sure you have a backup of your system databases on a regular basis and have a recovery document handy that you will test on a regular basis.

Monday, September 3, 2012 10:12 PM