none
Starting with SQL Server

Question

• Hi

I wanted to get going with learning SQL sometime ago but had to postpone it but now got some time facilities; I like to have some assistannce.

Let me give a brief on what I did earlier.

I tried to download Visual Studio several times because I thought SQL also got shipped with it with it; unsuccessful; I tried to download SQL Server 2008 Express Edition earlier; unsuccessful; thinking the SQL Server 2005 files that were shipped with my computer could be the reason I uninstalled the same but I missed one file; later I tried SQL Server R2; it seems it has installed in my computer; I have been able to download Visual Basic 2008 Expres too.

This is the list of Microsift programme files I have in the Control Panel;

Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office System (31.7 MB)

.Net Framework 3.5 SP1 (27.8 MB)

Office 2003 Web Components (20.4MB)

Office 2007 Primary Interop Assemblies (7.23MB)

Office Enterprise 2007 (626 MB)

Office powerpoint Viewer (English) (50.8 MB)

Small Business Connectivity Components (158 MB)

Report Viewer Redistributtable 2008 SP1 (114MB)

Silverlight

SQL Server 2005 (37.4 MB)

SQL Server 2008 R2 (590 MB)

SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client (2.90 MB)

SQL Server 2008 Policies (983 KB)

SQL Server 2008 Setup (English) (32.3MB)

SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files (21.6 MB)

SQL Server Browser (8.99 MB)

SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 ENU (3.39 MB)

SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 Query Tols ENU (4.63MB)

SQL Server Native Client (2.60 MB)

SQL Server Setup Support Files (English) (18.6 MB)

SQL Server VSS Writer (1.81 MB)

Visual Basic 2008 Express edition with SP1 - ENU (158 MB)

Visual C++ 2005 Distributable (342 KB)

Visual C++ ATL Update kb973924 -x86 9.0.30729.4148 (199 KB)

Visual C++ 2008 redistributable - x86 9.0.30729 (590 KB)

Visual Studio Tools for Application 2.0 - ENU (211MB)

Web Platform Installer 2.0 (4.08MB)

Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Express Tools for .Net Framework -enu (4.41MB)

Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Express Tools for Win32 (2.60MB)

SQL Server System CLR Types (829B)

I created a small SQL database through the UI in VB 2008; therefore I should be able to access it through SQL Management Studio; but I do not find the tables; I have access to tables only through VB; Why?

Many Thanks

Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:47 AM

Answers

• Yes it looks like. Visit MS (Microsoft) web site  to download SSMS for express editon
    Best Regards, Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP http://dimantdatabasesolutions.blogspot.com/ http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/
    • Marked as answer by Varnen Friday, September 17, 2010 7:39 AM
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Hello,

If you have used VB Express to create your database , you have not created a real database , only an user instance database. It is why you cannot see your tables. This a classical problem when someone uses VS to create a database. Only use SSMS(E) to create a database available from everywhere

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    • Edited by Papy NormandModerator Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:21 PM added an advice about SSMS to create a database
    • Marked as answer by Varnen Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:25 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Hello,

I have created a new database with VC# Express 2010 and i obtained as connection string

Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename="E:\Projets VCSharp 2010\DatabasesDisplay_VCS2010\DatabasesDisplay_VCS2010\newbase.mdf";Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True

you have an only possibility : to use user instance with databases created with VS Express Edition

About user instances : a nice feature when the developer has been understood how it's working and what are its limits ( connection only only on locale databases and no SQL Server authentification  ). Especially you can embedded a user instance database in the install by Click Once

For more informations about user instances, i suggest you to use this link

http://blogs.msdn.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=%22user+instance%22

You will find nearly everything about user instances in the Microsoft blogs ( for me the best blog is http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/ as the articles written by Mike Wachal are really useful but the other blogs are also really interesting and useful )

I have tested with my VS Standard 2008 with the same problem the creation of a database in the unique Express instance i have ( no possibility to choose the other instance ( Dev )

It is why i suggests to create databases with SQL Server Management Studio which has 3 editions which are different by the name

SSMS ( ssms.exe ) : SQL Server Management Studio provided by all SQL Server editions which are not Express ( so for not free editions )

SSME ( ssms.exe ) : SQL Server Management Studio Express ( provided with the SQL Server Express 2008 with advanced services or with tools ) asimilar to SSMS except it does provide features which are found with the Express Edition ( no SQL Agent or Mail...). If you install it after having installed a Standard Edition or a Dev, the "normal" SSMS will be replaced.

SSMSEE ( ssmsee.exe ) : SQL Server Management Studio Express Edition ( only for version 2005 and not updatable to the version 2008 in fact you have to uninstall it and the connectivity tools before trying to update to the version 2008 , well-known problem )

Could you have a look here ?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/john_daskalakis/archive/2010/01/05/9943818.aspx

Don't hesitate to post again for more explanations or help

Have a nice day

• Edited by Papy NormandModerator Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:24 PM link added and no SQL Agent suppress SQL Profiler
    • Marked as answer by Varnen Friday, September 17, 2010 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:11 PM

All replies

• With what login  you connect to SQL Server via SSMS?
    Best Regards, Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP http://dimantdatabasesolutions.blogspot.com/ http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:14 AM
  • Hello Uri,

Thanks for Responding.

SSMS Login Details;

Login Form - Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2

Server Type - Database Engine

Server Name - MyPC/SQL Express

Authentication - Windows Authentication

The Database appearing on Visual Basic has the following details;

Data Source - Microsoft SQL Server Database File (SqlClient) in the modify connection window and .\SQLExpress in the advanced window.

Have I installed SQL 2008 Express when installing VB 2008 Express?

Many Thanks.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Yes it looks like. Visit MS (Microsoft) web site  to download SSMS for express editon
    • Marked as answer by Varnen Friday, September 17, 2010 7:39 AM
    Sunday, September 12, 2010 9:41 AM
  • >> created a small SQL database through the UI in VB 2008; therefore I should be able to access it through SQL Management Studio; but I do not find the tables; I have access to tables only through VB; Why?

To narrow down the issue, could you please provide more information about: What steps to create the database in VB 2008? What do you mean by "do not find the tables in the Management Studio"?

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, September 13, 2010 10:07 AM
  • Hi Feng

How are you?

Sorry for the delay in responding; could not get Internet access!

Steps Taken to Create DB in VB 2008

-Created a new project

-Added a new database using standard database template provided by VB 2008 (Project Menu-Add New Item Submenu); there are 2 different templates available; sdf and mdf; I had mdf;

-Then I connected it using VB 2008 as guided by the book but I do not understand what I connected!!!

-Then I created the tables.

After completing the above I closed VB 2008 and opened SSMS; I checked myDataBase but I do not see the tables I created.

Just to inform you;

When you were helping me in March to download SQL I used unsecured Internet; last July when I had an opportunity to use a privated security enabled network; and I could install SQL but I am still confused if it is the R2 version or the Express version; as I say above the SSMS startup form is titled SQL Server 2008 R2 but VB 2008 says SQL Express as the datasource.

Many Thanks.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Hi Uri

Do you mean I have SSMS for SQL Server R2 but but not for SQL Server Express so that I have to download SSMS for SQL Server Express? So I will have 2 SQL versions in my computer! I do not mind but please clarify.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:16 PM
  • Hello,

If you have used VB Express to create your database , you have not created a real database , only an user instance database. It is why you cannot see your tables. This a classical problem when someone uses VS to create a database. Only use SSMS(E) to create a database available from everywhere

Have a nice day

• Edited by Papy NormandModerator Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:21 PM added an advice about SSMS to create a database
    • Marked as answer by Varnen Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:25 PM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Hi

That is clear; just one doubt; why can't I use the SSMS I have now? why SSMS(E)?

Many Thanks.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:31 PM
  • Hello,

I have created a new database with VC# Express 2010 and i obtained as connection string

Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename="E:\Projets VCSharp 2010\DatabasesDisplay_VCS2010\DatabasesDisplay_VCS2010\newbase.mdf";Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True

you have an only possibility : to use user instance with databases created with VS Express Edition

About user instances : a nice feature when the developer has been understood how it's working and what are its limits ( connection only only on locale databases and no SQL Server authentification  ). Especially you can embedded a user instance database in the install by Click Once

For more informations about user instances, i suggest you to use this link

http://blogs.msdn.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=%22user+instance%22

You will find nearly everything about user instances in the Microsoft blogs ( for me the best blog is http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/ as the articles written by Mike Wachal are really useful but the other blogs are also really interesting and useful )

I have tested with my VS Standard 2008 with the same problem the creation of a database in the unique Express instance i have ( no possibility to choose the other instance ( Dev )

It is why i suggests to create databases with SQL Server Management Studio which has 3 editions which are different by the name

SSMS ( ssms.exe ) : SQL Server Management Studio provided by all SQL Server editions which are not Express ( so for not free editions )

SSME ( ssms.exe ) : SQL Server Management Studio Express ( provided with the SQL Server Express 2008 with advanced services or with tools ) asimilar to SSMS except it does provide features which are found with the Express Edition ( no SQL Agent or Mail...). If you install it after having installed a Standard Edition or a Dev, the "normal" SSMS will be replaced.

SSMSEE ( ssmsee.exe ) : SQL Server Management Studio Express Edition ( only for version 2005 and not updatable to the version 2008 in fact you have to uninstall it and the connectivity tools before trying to update to the version 2008 , well-known problem )

Could you have a look here ?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/john_daskalakis/archive/2010/01/05/9943818.aspx

Don't hesitate to post again for more explanations or help

Have a nice day

• Edited by Papy NormandModerator Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:24 PM link added and no SQL Agent suppress SQL Profiler
    • Marked as answer by Varnen Friday, September 17, 2010 7:40 AM
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:11 PM