none
Monitoring/spying on the CE execution engine RRS feed

• Question

• Evening all,

I'm trying to do some profiling of a mobile application to determine where our performance bottleneck is. We have some conflicting information suggesting that inefficient usage of SqlCE might be the cause - but that code exists in a black-box library so we can't see what it's doing.

Are there any tools or configuration options to get the SqlCE execution engine to reveal what connections/queries it's being asked to perform? A simple list with some timestamps would be sufficient - just so we can map from our high-level data...

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Jack

Monday, July 23, 2007 7:02 PM

Answers

• There is not a Profiler like the one you may use in SQL Server, however you can explore the execution plan that SQL CE's query procesor will use on any given query.  Here's how:  Connect to your SQL CE database from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio.  Open a new query and then from the Query menu choose 'Display Estimated Execution Plan'.

Darren

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:37 PM

All replies

• There is not a Profiler like the one you may use in SQL Server, however you can explore the execution plan that SQL CE's query procesor will use on any given query.  Here's how:  Connect to your SQL CE database from SQL Server 2005 Management Studio.  Open a new query and then from the Query menu choose 'Display Estimated Execution Plan'.

Darren

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:37 PM
  • I catch your explanation, but I have the problem that I didn't do the aplication. I just want to analize the performance of a black box aplication. What is your suggestion?

Thanks in advance
    Matías
    Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:49 PM
  • As SQL Compact is not a Service, but an in-process database engine, there are not tools available to do this, other than perhaps .NET CLR performance counters, but they are not really SQL Compact related.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 7:39 PM