none
SSAS 2017 Can't Import any data RRS feed

• Question

• Whether I try to connect to a csv, an excel file, or sql server, using SSAS 2017 I can't process a single data source. It's all running on my local device, and I do have the 32bit ace engine installed to go with my 64 bit device. No matter what I connect to, I get

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'OLE DB or ODBC error: We're sorry, an error occurred during evaluation..

'.

When I import the data using Power Query, I'm able to see it, manipulate it, everything works fine until I try to process it, at which point it bombs.

Any suggestions?

Friday, November 9, 2018 2:15 AM

Answers

• I don't know if something changed in my environment that made this work, but now by using Impersonate Account with Domain\UserName and password now works for bringing in local data. It still doesn't work using just Impersonate Identity as I would expect working on a Windows box where I'm admin on everything, but at least I can move forward.

It's a shame that the error message is vague to the point of meaninglessness. 

• Marked as answer by Aaron Grossman Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:21 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Aaron Grossman,

Can you please post the full error message with us?

Are there any other data sources work in your project? 

Try to install the latest updates of SSDT and CU of SQL Server, and recreate a new Tabular project and check if this issue persist.

Regards,

Pirlo Zhang  

MSDN Community Support<br/> Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact <a href="mailto:MSDNFSF@microsoft.com">MSDNFSF@microsoft.com</a>.

Monday, November 12, 2018 2:26 AM
  • Hi Pirlo,

I have posted the full error message unfortunately, which includes the awkward spacing. I've run procmon, checked windows logs, updated to the latest CU, am working with a brand new project, and I have admin over the entire system, and I'm trying to connect locally to csv's, xlsx's, and a database, and none of it seems to work. 

I feel like it's got to be something to do with permissions because running procmon when I try to refresh there is no issue that I can find, and I can connect to the files in power query, but not when I try to refresh. I've tried setting the olap service account as having full write on the database and files, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. 

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 2:43 AM
  • I don't know if something changed in my environment that made this work, but now by using Impersonate Account with Domain\UserName and password now works for bringing in local data. It still doesn't work using just Impersonate Identity as I would expect working on a Windows box where I'm admin on everything, but at least I can move forward.

It's a shame that the error message is vague to the point of meaninglessness. 

• Marked as answer by Aaron Grossman Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:21 PM
    Tuesday, November 27, 2018 5:20 PM
  • I faced the same issue (albeit I was trying to pull the data from a database view) and did what you suggested.

It solved my issue as well. Great tip, thanks.

I wonder what causes this issue, I was able to query from other table but faced issue (the error you mentioned) with only this view.

Regards.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 6:49 AM