none
Installing SQL Server 2008 Express

Question

• I am installing SQL Server 2008 Express

I can not get past 'Server Configuration' in the set up.  I am getting the error -- 'The specified creditionals for the SQL Server service are not valid.  To continue, provide a valid account and password for the SQL Server service.' 

Where do I set up this account and password?  I have tried leaving it blank and also putting in a username and password in case I was supposed to be now creating one.  Neither worked.  I even tried using my hotmail information just in case that was it...  This is for teh SQL Server Database Engine Account.  For the SQL Server Browser, it has account name  NT AUTHORITY/LOCA...  and the startup type defaults at disabled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to finish getting this installed.

Thanks

Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:42 PM

All replies

• You dont need to add username and password at all (You should add a sql server user only if you need try sa for username and a strong password like xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx1234%%). Just select Windows Authentication and complete the Wizard. An dbo user is added automatically.

Anyway you can add a user if you need or set the password for the "sa" user later from the Managment Studio.

Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:00 AM
  • Hi Ali,

SQL Server runs as a Windows Service and all services need an account under which to run. There are two types of accounts you can provide based on your needs:

1. Well Known Account - You can drop down the combo box for each servcie and pick one of the well known accounts listed. When you select a well known account, you do not need to provide a password since these are internal Windows accounts. The typical account used for SQL Express is the Network Service account and this is the one that I use for all my development computers.
    2. User/Domain Account - It is more secure to use a User or Domain account to run the SQL service, but this requires that you create such an account and set up the appropriate permissiosn that you want the SQL service to have when using that account. When you choose this configuration, you must supply both the Account Name and Password on this page of setup. Some users configure SQL to run using their personal User account (so SQL runs as them) while others create a special account just for use by the SQL Service.

As you've seen, the SQL Browser service is pre-defined to run with a Well Known Account, just leave it that way. You must make this choice for each service that you are installing, with SQL Express this could be up to three services (not including Browser) depending on the edition. SQL Server, Reporting Services and Full Text Search.

Regards,

Mike

• Proposed as answer by Quarty81 Friday, September 17, 2010 12:53 PM
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:17 AM
  • Hello,

Just a little add-in to the excellent post of Mike Wachal.

Plase,could you have a look on this link ?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504.aspx

Have a nice day

Remark : if you have only Sql Server Express, you have not to take care of Sql Agent Service ( it is always disabled when Sql Server Express is alone : explanation given by Mike Wachal in another thread )

Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:14 PM
  • Thanks Much. !
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 1:40 AM
  • I was able to succeed the problem by crating a new NT user with Administrator permissions and critical password (having a capital letter, numeric, special character and 8 letters). Used this new administrator user and password in SQL Server configuration.
    Sunday, July 18, 2010 6:15 PM