none
default schema not working?

Question

• I am confused.

I added my NT account to the sql server logins for my sql server (2005), then I added a corresponding user account to my database.  I then set my default schema.  I connect to the database, and the default schema seems to be set to dbo.

Can anyone thing of a reason why this might be happening?  Is there some sort of override if I have additional privledges on the server?

I appreciate any thoughts...

-Mike Graham

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 3:50 PM

Answers

• If you are a sysadmin, you are also a member of db_owner, so your default schema will be dbo.

The BOL quote refers to the fact that you cannot set a default schema for a database principal that is mapped to a Windows group, NOT that you cannot set it for a database principal who is mapped to a Windows account that belongs to some group.

So, what prevented the default_schema setting from working was the fact that you were a sysadmin.

Thanks
    Laurentiu

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:11 PM

All replies

• AH HA !!!

In the BOL, it says "you cannot change the default schema for a user that is mapped a windows group" - my account was in the administrators group which had been added to the logins for the sql server. 

I remove the group and it started working without even closing the query window.

YES !!!!!!!!!!!!

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 4:34 PM
  • Ok - little more info:

I also noticed that if i am in the server role: sysadmin, the default schema assignment doesn't work, but if I remove myself, then it works.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 4:44 PM
  • If you are a sysadmin, you are also a member of db_owner, so your default schema will be dbo.

The BOL quote refers to the fact that you cannot set a default schema for a database principal that is mapped to a Windows group, NOT that you cannot set it for a database principal who is mapped to a Windows account that belongs to some group.

So, what prevented the default_schema setting from working was the fact that you were a sysadmin.

Thanks
    Laurentiu

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 7:11 PM