none
Virtual Directory is Reports_SSRS RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed SQL2017 SSRS and the virtual directory is Reports_SSRS so all my URLs are the same. My colleague installed on a different server and the virtual directory is just Reports, as usual.

Why did mine default to a different name, any ideas please?

Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:07 AM

Answers

All replies

• Because you installed SSRS as a named instance "SSRS". On one machine you can install one default (unnamed) instance, as your colleagues did, and up to 50 named instance; see URL Reservations for Multi-Instance Report Server Deployments

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Edited by Olaf HelperMVP Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Birley Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:19 AM
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:11 AM
  • Wow, thanks for the quick reply. I have no idea how I did that then, I didn't even know that you could have multiple instances of SSRS! Assume I can rename just to Reports?
    Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:20 AM
  • No, it's not possible to rename/unname an instance, only uninstall & reinstall as default.

But you can modify the URL: Configure a URL (SSRS Configuration Manager)

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, January 23, 2020 11:50 AM
  • Hi, yes that's what I meant actually, just change the URL. Cheers.

However, I'm still baffled by how this came to be. I just did a normal install - I don't recall anywhere it asks you for a named instance (like it does for SQL Server) and the service is just 'SQLServerReportingServices' no instance name or anything with it? Where would I see the instance name if it was not a default install please?

Thursday, January 23, 2020 12:23 PM