none
Best approach to design the parent - child package and to pass the lastrundatetime value to all child packages RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

It's been a while for me that I've worked with SSIS packages, last time I've worked with was on 2008R2. I know with 2012 SSISDB came into the picture, so I'm trying to figure out what's the best approach to do the following: 

1. I want to create a parent package with connection strings and variables that needs to be accessed by child packages (atleast around 10) which will be in the same project. 

Should I create a variable in each child package and read the value from parent for the connection string ? or Can i use project parameters here ? 

Friday, November 15, 2019 10:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to my test, it's better to create a package parameter in each child package.

You can configure the Execute Package Task to map parent package variables or parameters,

or project parameters, to child package parameters.

The project must use the project deployment model and the child package must be contained

in the same project that contains the parent package. 

Please refer to Execute Package Task .

Best Regards,

Mona

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, November 18, 2019 2:32 AM