none
Always ON and Replication subscribers RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi, We are in the process of creating AG availability groups on one of our servers which is a subscriber from 20 different publishers (20 different DBs). Online documentation says we need to use AG listener name in the subscriber part. However, Since we already have the replication setup , Is there anyway we can change to Listenername without dropping the replication? or should we recreate all the replication?

Server A - > Subscriber for 20+ servers over different databases. All these DBs will be joined in one AG Group and Server B will be asynchronous replica. 

trying to find out if there is easier way to setup AG without dropping the replication. It will be huge task to recreate everything.

Thank you!

Friday, October 13, 2017 10:40 AM

Answers

• Creating an alias on Distributor with current host name just put listener IP and just stop and start distribution agent. I had very similar situation, we had replication running to single standalone server and suddenly our client decide to move to AG. We did not recreate anything just change IP in SQL Client Configuration to IP of a listener.
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 11:53 PM

All replies

• You will need to somehow change the listener name to the subscriber name. Then if the AG is protecting the subscriber databases this should work.

You should be able to create a new subscription to the subscriber via the listener and alias it on the publisher with the replication support only option for sync type.

Friday, October 13, 2017 1:40 PM
  • Thanks Hilary, I thought about replication support only option. But these tables are highly transactional and we frequently add new subscribers. So this option wouldn't let us snapshot the table right? and what if we ever had to snapshot one of these tables to few subscribers? 
    Sunday, October 15, 2017 6:30 PM
  • With the replication support only option you would be out of luck when having to reinitialize. Your best bet is to run with the no sync option, and when you had to add a new table or re-initialize only an existing table, add it to a new publication.

Monday, October 16, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Creating an alias on Distributor with current host name just put listener IP and just stop and start distribution agent. I had very similar situation, we had replication running to single standalone server and suddenly our client decide to move to AG. We did not recreate anything just change IP in SQL Client Configuration to IP of a listener.
    Tuesday, October 17, 2017 11:53 PM
  • interesting, thats brilliant idea if it works! We will try it out, I m gonna mark it as answer. I will update it if it didn't work for us! Thank you, much appreciated!
    Thursday, October 19, 2017 11:02 AM