none
Adding Articles to Merge Publication - Snapshot? RRS feed

• Question

• When a table is added to an existing publication, is there a way to generate and apply a snapshot and re-initialize for the new table only?

I ask because I am never quite sure whether or not generating a snapshot for an entire publication and re-initializing replication while there is activity in the database risks loosing some data. If I can be reassured on that count, the question becomes less significant.

This relates in turn, I suppose, to the question of just when a new snapshot is required or and older one (that has not "expired)" will do. I think that seen recently that if an older snapshot is used to re-initialize subscriptions, there as a lot of additional activity after the snapshot is applied, indicating perhaps that merge replication is "catching up" on inserts, updates and deletes since the time of the snapshot.

Basically I want to improve my understanding of how snapshots work in day to day operation.

R Campbell

Thursday, June 20, 2019 12:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Dick Campbell,

>>When a table is added to an existing publication, is there a way to generate and apply a snapshot and re-initialize for the new table only?

After adding an article to a publication, you must create a new snapshot for the publication. The Merge Agent then copies the schema and data for the new article to the Subscriber (it does not reinitialize the entire publication). The data may be out of sync during the re-generation of the snapshot, but the data will be synchronized after the subscription is initialized.

Hope this could help you .

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Dick Campbell Friday, June 21, 2019 10:18 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2019 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Dick Campbell,

>>When a table is added to an existing publication, is there a way to generate and apply a snapshot and re-initialize for the new table only?

After adding an article to a publication, you must create a new snapshot for the publication. The Merge Agent then copies the schema and data for the new article to the Subscriber (it does not reinitialize the entire publication). The data may be out of sync during the re-generation of the snapshot, but the data will be synchronized after the subscription is initialized.

Hope this could help you .

Best regards,

Dedmon Dai

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Dick Campbell Friday, June 21, 2019 10:18 AM
    Friday, June 21, 2019 9:53 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. It answers my question clearly.

R Campbell

Friday, June 21, 2019 10:18 AM