none
Databases users RRS feed

• Question

• Consider the following...

1. An ssis package pulls periodically changes to an existing database via diff backup files.

2. After the database is restored to the latest diff, I would like access it via a domain account ssas_service.  

Problem

1.  If I add this account to access the database, it will be overwritten by subsequent restore of diff backup.

Is there a way I could persist this service account without recreating it using administrator account? or, perhaps, there is another way of handling this problem?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:56 PM

All replies

• Consider the following...

1. An ssis package pulls periodically changes to an existing database via diff backup files.

2. After the database is restored to the latest diff, I would like access it via a domain account ssas_service.  

Problem

1.  If I add this account to access the database, it will be overwritten by subsequent restore of diff backup.

Is there a way I could persist this service account without recreating it using administrator account? or, perhaps, there is another way of handling this problem?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 10:54 PM
  • Hi rgelfand,

Could you please share more information about your environment? According to your description, you restore the existing database with a difference backup. Based on my understanding, you use a difference backup to sync data between two databases. 

Database user is a database-level object, a difference backup restore will replace the changing on the database, why didn't you create a user and then create a full backup and restore in the target database, after that, using difference backups to sync data?

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 2:56 AM
  • A restore creates an exact 1:1 copy of the source database. If a database user don't exists in the source database, then it also won't in the restored database; that's how backup/restore works.

You either have to create the database user after restore or create it already in the source database.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Thursday, November 2, 2017 6:48 AM