Error connecting SSRS 2016 to Azure AS following Greg Galloway's instruction RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been trying to connect SSRS 2016 to an Azure AS following Greg Galloway's workaround described in this PDF, but I get an error when I try to do so.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I am specifying the credentials of a user within the Azure AD where the Azure AS is (not an invited B2B user), and the user is not only added in the admin role of the model I am trying to connect, but it is also an Azure AS admin.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,
    P.

Screenshot of the error

Wednesday, August 22, 2018 11:28 AM

All replies

• Hi pmdci

According to your description ,seems that you have known that SSRS doesn't support connection to AAS (Azure Analysis Services) yet . The method you are using are faced many limitation.  You could try the following checks:

1 Make sure the account have enough permission to access the datasource

2 Try to connect the datasource in ssms using the same account.

3 Try to set the credentials as “using the following credentials” ->database user name and password

4 You could offer more detailed error message from the ssrs log to us for more further research.

Reference : SQL Azure Connection Type (SSRS)

Connecting to servers

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Thursday, August 23, 2018 7:15 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had to deal with a crisis.

I can confirm that I can use the account in question to connect to Azure AS via SSMS and I can query tables and measures (e.g. Evaluate ('Table Name').

My bad for not thinking about the SSRS logs before! Here it is. Not sure how helpful this will be, though :(

library!ReportServer_0-6!13cc!08/24/2018-11:36:08:: i INFO: Call to TestConnectForDataSourceDefinitionAction(). User: CONTOSO\PMDCI.
    processing!ReportServer_0-6!13cc!08/24/2018-11:36:10:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportProcessing.ReportProcessingException: Cannot create a connection to data source ''. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.HttpStream.ImpersonateLogonIdentityAndExecute(Action action)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.HttpStream.GetResponseStream()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.HttpStream.GetResponseDataType()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.CompressedStream.GetResponseDataType()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.EndRequest(Boolean useBinaryXml)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.SendMessage(Boolean endReceivalIfException, Boolean readSession, Boolean readNamespaceCompatibility)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.Discover(String requestType, IDictionary restrictions, InlineErrorHandlingType inlineErrorHandling, Boolean sendNamespaceCompatibility)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.ReadDataSourceInfo()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.ConnectToXMLA(Boolean createSession, Boolean isHTTP)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.AdomdExceptionHandler.Execute(String connectionString, Action action)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.AdoMdConnectionBase.Open()
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.DataExtensionConnectionBase.<>c__DisplayClass5.<OpenConnection>b__4()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---;

Friday, August 24, 2018 10:40 AM
  • Hi

Well, still the same error message as above from the log file . seems that the connect type is not support by the ssrs currently . so , all the measure we tried is not necessarily correct. Following are the last few things I think it may related to the issue .

1 Have you configure the execution account on the reporting services configuration manager?

2 Try to use other credential to connect the database.

3 Try to build the shared data source in report builder or ssdt and then deploy it to server ,see how it goes.

4 Check there is no firewall and the port issue when connect to database in ssrs.

Seems that there is a feedback topic about this issue , you could check the updates on the feedback topic to get the Latest workaround or the AAS datatype support method .  

Reference :

Cannot create a connection to data source Error (rsErrorOpeningConnection) in SSRS

Configure the Unattended Execution Account (SSRS Configuration Manager)

Thanks for your support and understanding .

Best Regards,

Eric Liu

Best Regards, Eric Liu MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer if the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread.

Monday, August 27, 2018 8:08 AM
  • Already tried 1, 2 and there is no firewall. I reckon that point 3 is the one to try next.
    Monday, August 27, 2018 12:52 PM
  • Hi

Seems the case might related to the azure ‘s security  ,so it is better to post the issue to the azure forum for more aspects’ information.

Hoping for your reply.

BR,

Eric Liu

Tuesday, August 28, 2018 5:43 AM