none
mssqlsystemresource db files missing after SS2008R2 SP1 upgrade and system reboot

Question

• I applied the SP1 path to my Sql Server 2008 R2 instance on Windows 2008.  The upgrade stopped after applying the changes and reported that it could not start the instance, which I had stopped before the upgrade.  I was able to start the service manually.  After rebooting the server I cannot start the service.   I get error 2 cannot locate mssqlsystemresource.ldf.   Where do I go from here?  I've been searching for anything on this error with little luck.

Thanks

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:55 PM

Answers

• I would, as a starter, hunt down a working SQL Server with the same version, stop it, and copy the mssqlsystemresource databases' files to your non-working SQL Server.
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, September 26, 2011 1:38 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:08 PM

All replies

• I would, as a starter, hunt down a working SQL Server with the same version, stop it, and copy the mssqlsystemresource databases' files to your non-working SQL Server.
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP | web | blog
    • Proposed as answer by Peja Tao Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, September 26, 2011 1:38 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:08 PM
  • I agree with Tibor. Copying the file from another instance of same version, is the easiest approach.

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @PradeepAdiga

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:39 PM
  • I just applied the SQL Server 2008 SP3 to 3 boxes.  After a machine reboot, mssqlsystemresource.mdf / ldf were missing from one of the boxes.  The advice above saved me from having to track down the installation media and attempting a rather dangerous repair... and only took about a minute.  Thanks everyone!
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 11:49 AM