none
difference between developer edition and enterprise or standard edition RRS feed

• Question

• We have a software deployed by vendor but with developer edition, now vendor left before go live, though we purchased the standard edition SQL 2008R2, but don't like to do upgrade from developer edition 2008R2 to standard to make trouble for the vendor's software, if we leave the software as it is on developer edition sql2008R2, will there be a problem? fyi there is no license issue as we have purchased the the SQL std license.
    Monday, February 13, 2012 10:20 PM

Answers

• thanks, I knew we should NOT use developer for production, but for what reason? technically or legally?

thanks Arun for the link, but it seems like the developer edition has no limitations for number of users because we are using windows 2008R2, not windows 7.

from the project started until vendor left a few month ago, I was not aware of this project, now my boss told me to put it go live in two weeks, I checked server and found it is even not in one of production edition, though the license was purchased.

Max No. of Users: Technically there is no limitation for max number of users as of what I know. I don't see any good reason why its such for windows 7. IIS has a limitation on number of users in XP similiarly (A dll patching solves this is what I know). So May be Windows 7 is a desktop OS and there fore such.

Dev Edition on Prod Server: It's legal issue. Developer edition costs way less in comparison to Enterprise edition with the same engine and features and is such so that users can develop applications with very less cost. However to use the built software, users have to buy the Standard/Enterprise/Datawarehouse edition. If you read the EULA, then you can find that Dev editions are not meant for production use (and therefore the name, Developer)

You should seriously talk(/argue) to your manager on this point.

I advise you restore the database on a standard edition and test your application once. Your app might fail only if SQL server engine does not support any feature that you might be using. Else there should not be any issue. Standard edition databases are used in many enterprise level applications. Give a try.

This is a legal issue, nothing technical except limiting no of users, if only it's so.

Hope this helps you and solves your query.

Welcome to MSDN Forums.
    Feel free to ask your questions and Please Note to Vote helpful topics and Mark answering posts.

You Value Community's efforts and Community values your faith.
    - Arun Kumar Allu

• Marked as answer by George Zhou Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:10 PM

All replies

• You can only use this edition for development, you can not use it in production. Most likely you should be able to use software with the Standard Edition of SQL Server also (unless the vendor used some specific features that only exist in Enterprise version).

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:43 PM
  • You might want to compare Standard and Enterprise edition options with the product from your vendor. If there's any Enterprise feature used (e.g. partitioned tables) then you can't use Standard edition. For a summarized comparison I'd recommend to have a look at this MS link.

Monday, February 13, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Hi,

Naomi  N is -As I think- answering you problem,

You can check this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/editions.aspx

I hope this is helpful.

Elmozamil Elamir

MyBlog

Please Mark it as Answered if it answered your question
    OR mark it as Helpful if it help you to solve your problem
    Elmozamil Elamir Hamid
    http://elmozamil.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:33 AM
  • We have a software deployed by vendor but with developer edition, now vendor left before go live, though we purchased the standard edition SQL 2008R2, but don't like to do upgrade from developer edition 2008R2 to standard to make trouble for the vendor's software, if we leave the software as it is on developer edition sql2008R2, will there be a problem? fyi there is no license issue as we have purchased the the SQL std license.

On a first note, you should not use developer edition for production servers.

Secondly, Developer editions have limitations in terms of number of users.

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition - How many clients?

Developer edition and Enterprise edition have the same engine. So you wont lose any features with enterprise but you will lose some features in standard edition. These features and mostly on Enterprise level features.

Welcome to MSDN Forums.
    Feel free to ask your questions and Please Note to Vote helpful topics and Mark answering posts.

- Arun Kumar Allu

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:30 AM
  • thanks, I knew we should NOT use developer for production, but for what reason? technically or legally?

thanks Arun for the link, but it seems like the developer edition has no limitations for number of users because we are using windows 2008R2, not windows 7.

from the project started until vendor left a few month ago, I was not aware of this project, now my boss told me to put it go live in two weeks, I checked server and found it is even not in one of production edition, though the license was purchased.

• Edited by George Zhou Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:28 PM
    • Proposed as answer by mickiii Monday, April 11, 2016 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Legally you don't have rights to use Developer's edition. 

Are you able to run the project using Standard Edition of SQL Server? Does that project use any of the special Enterprise only features such as CDC, compressed backup?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:01 PM

Max No. of Users: Technically there is no limitation for max number of users as of what I know. I don't see any good reason why its such for windows 7. IIS has a limitation on number of users in XP similiarly (A dll patching solves this is what I know). So May be Windows 7 is a desktop OS and there fore such.

Dev Edition on Prod Server: It's legal issue. Developer edition costs way less in comparison to Enterprise edition with the same engine and features and is such so that users can develop applications with very less cost. However to use the built software, users have to buy the Standard/Enterprise/Datawarehouse edition. If you read the EULA, then you can find that Dev editions are not meant for production use (and therefore the name, Developer)

You should seriously talk(/argue) to your manager on this point.

I advise you restore the database on a standard edition and test your application once. Your app might fail only if SQL server engine does not support any feature that you might be using. Else there should not be any issue. Standard edition databases are used in many enterprise level applications. Give a try.

This is a legal issue, nothing technical except limiting no of users, if only it's so.

Hope this helps you and solves your query.

Welcome to MSDN Forums.

- Arun Kumar Allu

• Marked as answer by George Zhou Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:10 PM
  • thanks, we are not aware of what are all features that have been used, it uses Database Engine, SSIS, SSAS, SSRS for integration and reports, but not for the details, I am comparing the features list between Enterprise and Standard, trying to understand each by each.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:13 PM