none
Slow Response Times Loading SSRS Report Via Portal RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of migrating from SQL Server 2008 Reporting services to SQL Server 2016 Reporting services.

All the 2008 reports have been downloaded from 2008 and then deployed to a new 2016 environment and the required data sources set-up.

The reports run via the portal site, but it takes much longer than the  2008 version to load/display the various report parameters.

If Report Builder 2016 is used to open the report, then the report parameters are displayed soon after you hit run.  In addition, the run times for actually running the report via both the portal and Report Builder are the same.

This would imply that there is a difference in how the Portal and Report Builder initially process reports to display the required report parameters.

I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this behaviour, and whether there are any configuration changes that can be made to improve response time for the initial loading of reports.

Kind regards

Jocelyn  

Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Jocylyn,

SSRS 2008 and SSRS 2016 report definition has incompatible difference, but after you run the report first time in SSRS 2016 web portal, the report should be upgrade to new schema automatically.

Did you experience this slowness every time you open it? I would suggest your to download the report after you run them and try publishing it again see if the problem still exists.

Or you could also check the RS log files to see if there were any error or exceptions.

You could read this article here : Upgrade Reports (SSRS)

"When you upgrade a Reporting Services installation to a SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services (SSRS) installation, existing reports and snapshots that have been published to a report server are compiled and automatically upgraded to the new schema the first time they are processed"

Regards,

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 11, 2019 2:30 AM
  • Hi Lukas,

I've checked the various logs and no errors are being logged.

We have tried saving/redeploying a report, but this has not made any difference.

What I've noticed is that when selecting a report via the portal, the parameters and view report button are displayed within a couple of seconds but are greyed out until such time as the report file has finished loading.

This takes on average 25 seconds  each time a report is selected

Kind regards

Jocelyn

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 10:23 AM
  • Hi Jocelyn,

You could try check the excutionlog3 in SSMS, in report database - views.

This table would show you the processing time of the report, with this you could find more clues.

BTW, from your description it sounds like browser environment related, have you try other browser to check this issue?

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 2:46 AM
  • Hi Lukas,

The excutionlog3  view doesn't show anything as the underlying table is only updated when the report is actually run, i.e. after you select View Report.

The issue we have is in the initial load of the report.

We have also tried using the Chrome browser, and we encounter the same issue as we do when using IE11

Regards

Jocelyn  

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 9:15 AM
  • I have a very dumb ideal, is to copy all the design in newest SSRS and deploy them. 

Sounds dumb, but this may work and leave all the misery behind. 

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:20 AM