none
Cannot run "shrink file" on SQL server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to run "shrink file" on the datafile on an AX2009 database, but gets this errror message. The error shows when I open the dialog, not when trying to perform the operation. Any suggestions?

Cannot show requested dialog.

------------------------------

Value of '2265065' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
    Parameter name: Value (System.Windows.Forms)

Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to shrink with in the space limit of the boundaries.

Thanks, Satish Kumar. Please mark as this post as answered if my anser helps you to resolves your issue :)

Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:29 AM
  • Magnus from where are you shrinking the file, SSMS or TSQL ?. Can you make sure you give target size less than the current size and also use TSQL to shrink do not use SSMS .

This connect Item reports this as bug, so I am going to ask is SQL Server 2008 r2 is patched till Sp3 ?

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:17 AM
  • I dont get to open the dialog, the error shows when i want to open the Shrink file dialog.
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:25 AM
  • This error shows when i try to open the Shrink file dialog in SSMS. The dialog never opens, I just get this error. So, I cant even start an operation.

This error does not occour on all databases, just the 3 AX databases on this server.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:28 AM
  • So run DBCC SHRINKFILE from a query window.

I hope that you are aware of that shrinking is a very exceptional operation which you would only perform if you have removed a lot of data and you don't expect that amount of data to come back in the near future.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:46 AM
  • Magnus from where are you shrinking the file, SSMS or TSQL ?. Can you make sure you give target size less than the current size and also use TSQL to shrink do not use SSMS .

This connect Item reports this as bug, so I am going to ask is SQL Server 2008 r2 is patched till Sp3 ?

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

The connect item referenced above looks a lot like what you are experiencing.  Is the database file > 2 TB?  Would you mind trying the same operations with a newer version of SSMS?  Download link for latest SSMS version can be found here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms
    Friday, June 23, 2017 5:12 PM
  • Hi Magnus,

Was the issue resolved by following Shanky and DeviantLogic’s suggestions(switch to latest SSMS)? If so, please mark the corresponding replies as answer as it would benefit others when they are reading the thread.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:01 AM