none
Canot connect SSRS Mobile Timeline Navigator to Dataset from SSAS Tabular model? RRS feed

• Question

• I am completely dumfounded by the limitations I've discovered in the Microsoft SSRS Mobile reports publisher today.  I started building my first real report that connects to a tabular model in SSAS.  Firstly, I found you cannot store the data source or dataset in the report.  You have to store it as a separate object on the SSRS dashboard that users are able to see.  I'm sure I could hide them with user permissions but that is added administration overhead.

Secondly, when I tried to connect to the tabular model, the mobile report publisher can't do it because the model has parameters which have no default value..... (seriously MS??? - more overhead)

This next part I just can't believe.  I rebuild the cube without parameters and was able to connect the dataset to the report....however, when I tried to link the timeline navigator to the dataset, it's not an available choice in the dropdown box.

No error messages, no suggestions, just, not listed.  So how/why is it not listed, the dataset contains year & quarter names with 2 different measure columns.  I should be able to use this dataset on a time line.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Phill D,

In your scenario, first a Reporting Service 2016 mobile report itself will not store a data source or dataset in the report. It is using local Excel files and Shared dataset as its data sources. Please refer: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt631348.aspx

Secondly, yes we cannot use a shared dataset with no default value parameter as data source for a mobile report. So please ensure the parameters in shared dataset have default values. To give a parameter default values, you can choose Set Options while designing the dataset. And specify the default value in Parameters property.

Then to make the time navigator get the assigned dataset. You should ensure there exists date type fields in this dataset. And you should know that the default return type for Analysis Services queries is a string. Please refer: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt732283.aspx

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

• Marked as answer by Phill D Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:38 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:36 AM

All replies

• Here is a screenshot of the dataset. Can anyone see why I can't link this to a timeline navigator?  The date options in the settings for the dataset is greyed out.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Hi Phill D,

In your scenario, first a Reporting Service 2016 mobile report itself will not store a data source or dataset in the report. It is using local Excel files and Shared dataset as its data sources. Please refer: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt631348.aspx

Secondly, yes we cannot use a shared dataset with no default value parameter as data source for a mobile report. So please ensure the parameters in shared dataset have default values. To give a parameter default values, you can choose Set Options while designing the dataset. And specify the default value in Parameters property.

Then to make the time navigator get the assigned dataset. You should ensure there exists date type fields in this dataset. And you should know that the default return type for Analysis Services queries is a string. Please refer: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt732283.aspx

If you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks,
    Xi Jin.

• Marked as answer by Phill D Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:38 PM
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:36 AM
  • I followed the link and it instructs to setup a date field as a measure. Dates are supposed to be dimensional elements, not FACT/Measure elements. To me, that is a deviation from dimensional data design principles.

Thursday, July 14, 2016 12:18 PM
  • Xi Jin,

I'm convinced the steps in the article cause numerous problems in the result set and the mobile report functionality.  I'm going to setup a very simple SSAS Model, Dataset and Report and hopefully you'll be able to assist. 

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:10 PM
  • I've found that creating the date measure in the report dataset (described above) causes problems when there are multiple tables in the source SSAS model.  It's definitely not an issue with the date table/relationship because I removed it and the report still showed incorrect results.

It's impossible to see exactly what's happening to the data because there is no way (that I know of) to view the underlying result that are producing the report graphs.  All I can tell you is that the SSAS Model functions correctly in Excel, but produces different result in the Mobile Report.

We have also run into other bugs creating the datasets from Visual Studio and passing in parameters to the reports.  The product just seems too buggy at this point and is too unreliable for production use.  I have burned up a lot of business hours wading through the problems and my productivity has suffered because of it.  I'm really disappointed because we hoped this technology could spearhead a new product we are developing but, it lacks many features and a lot of functionality has to be gained by "workarounds" rather than straightforward usability.

Sorry for the negativity, just being honest.

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:04 PM
  • performance is  very slow  and out of memory 

Please  fixed in  the mobile Report Publisher

Friday, September 30, 2016 8:30 PM