none
Using look up to populate Fact table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I am practicing my first Fact table works with adventure works. 
    I created a new DB and trying to load the fact tables. 
    I already have copied the related-Dimension tables into my DB using Wizard. I am trying lookup the surrogate keys from the dimensions with the business keys associated with the fact table. to start populating it but: 
    1) Some of them are not matching then I assume I first need to do some transformation  (i.e Dimdate) before or not following the right order?
    2 how to build a lookup with the other information in the table that are no keys contained in theDimTables and keep maintaining the relationship one lookup after other? 
    Hope I explain my self properly all this is pretty new and trying to understand first how to build one look up after other

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 12:17 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi NCG SJO,

Please provide concrete examples

Arthur

MyBlog

Twitter

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:01 AM
  • What you do with failed lookups depends on your needs. Either you mark them as "unknown"/"not applicable"/etc or stub (placeholder) them up prior to your fact lookup 

Not sure what your second question is asking

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 3:19 AM
  • Hi, What I am only trying to include the Fact internetSales table into the warehouse using lookups. But when I tried the second look up to continue adding information there appers a message that can not find the destination. 

Thanks 

Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:00 PM
  • If you mean, it failed because it couldn't find a lookup key, you can change the "Specify how to handle rows with no matching entries" to "Ignore failure" (or send to no match if desired)
    Thursday, November 30, 2017 11:30 PM
  • Thanks!

• Marked as answer by NCG SJO Saturday, December 2, 2017 9:41 PM
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 9:41 PM