none
Azure SQL DW Table Creation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to Azure SQL DW. I want to create some some Tables but confused on what should be index ,distribution type and which column to consider.

Below is my table

CREATE TABLE Orders ( OrderID int IDENTITY(1, 1) NOT NULL, OrderDate datetime NOT NULL, ......)

Below the the data Like..I added count column to just let you know how many rows we have for each combination

Now I am not sure that on which column I should Do hashing

• OrderID
    • OrderDate

• Combination of OrderID+OrderDate as New column in Table structure which will be inserted through view ,when I pull from Staging

i want to use this table in POWERBI which will query on OrderID and OrderDate

And Also what should Index:

• ColumnStoreIndex
    • Clustered Index on OrderID

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 7:24 AM

Answers

• Hi  Khushboo dubey,

Welcome to SQL Server  > Transact-SQL Forum.

Per your description , you are using Azure SQL Data Warehouse. Right ?  Please post your issue in the corresponding forum and you will get professional help. Azure SQL Data Warehouse Forum 

If you have post your issue in the corresponding forum ,in order to close this thread, please kindly mark helpful replies or your own reply as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rachel 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Khushboo dubey Wednesday, October 30, 2019 9:13 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 9:00 AM

All replies

• If you use PBI and load all the data into  the memory, I have doubts  you need indexes on that table.

Best Regards,Uri Dimant SQL Server MVP, http://sqlblog.com/blogs/uri_dimant/

MS SQL optimization: MS SQL Development and Optimization
    MS SQL Consulting: Large scale of database and data cleansing
    Remote DBA Services: Improves MS SQL Database Performance
    SQL Server Integration Services: Business Intelligence

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:36 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Uri,I will be using Direct Query to show the data in Power Bi as it would be sort of  realtime
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:37 AM
  • Hi  Khushboo dubey,

Welcome to SQL Server  > Transact-SQL Forum.

Per your description , you are using Azure SQL Data Warehouse. Right ?  Please post your issue in the corresponding forum and you will get professional help. Azure SQL Data Warehouse Forum 

If you have post your issue in the corresponding forum ,in order to close this thread, please kindly mark helpful replies or your own reply as answers. By doing so, it will benefit all community members who are having this similar issue.  Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Rachel 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Khushboo dubey Wednesday, October 30, 2019 9:13 AM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 9:00 AM
  • Thanks Rachel
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

In order to close this thread, please kindly mark helpful replies or your own reply as answers. 

Best Regards,

Rachel 

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 9:12 AM