none
Excel PowerPivot Lost Data Model RRS feed

• Question

• Good day

I have been using PowerPivot for a few years although mostly in the 2013 version. I recently changed jobs and was upgraded to 2016 version. This however has not been as smooth sailing as in 2013. I create many dashboards in Excel using PowerPivot. Some of these reports I uploaded the data directly from PowerPivot and others I have used PowerQuery to create a data model.

My problems however started a few months ago. One of my users complained that the data was not refreshing. Upon further investigation, I found that the data model did not exist. This has subsequently occurred in other dashboards as well. Data Models are being lost.

It results in many hours of recreating the data model with calculated columns and measures. Does anybody have a solution to this problem?

Thursday, May 24, 2018 10:35 AM

Answers

• Hi EltonKallis,

Thanks for your question.

>>>It results in many hours of recreating the data model with calculated columns and measures. Does anybody have a solution to this problem?

After research, you try to get rid of the Data Model completely as follows posted here and try rebuild data model, check if it works fine.

1.close the xlsx in question

2.open the xlsx with favorite zip tool (i used 7zip)

3.delete the "/xl/model" folder

4.open xlsx with Excel again and respond to prompts that Excel needs to make repairs to the file

The most important thing that I want to mention is always have a back up for the data model in case file corruption or other issues that might cause data model loss.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Friday, May 25, 2018 2:24 AM