none
Component version mis-match-5386/5692/8080 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm not 100% sure if this belongs in .net compact framework or SQL Server compact, so please tell me if this is the wrong area.

    I'm trying to synch a SQL-CE database on a handheld device to synch (using synch framework) with an SQL Server database. As a learning tool, I'm using the walkthrough here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc488004%28v=vs.90%29.aspx

    The problem is, when I go to run it, I get a error message about incompatible components. The exact wording of the message is:

    --- ERROR MESSAGE START ---

    The application is trying to load native components of version 5386 that are incompatible with ADO.NET provider of version 8080. Incompatible versions can lead to application instability and hence loading of SQL Server Compact has been aborted. Install the correct version of SQL Server Compact. Refer to KB article 974247 for more details.

    --- ERROR MESSAGE END ---

    To my knowledge, the version numbers refer to different versions. These being:
    5386 = 3.5
    8080 = 3.5_SP2
    5692 = 3.5_SP1 (this one is not in the message obviously).

    The problem is, I only have SP1 components installed (for SQL-CE) on this machine. The components I have installed are:
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools English
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 English
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 for Devices English
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Query Tools English
    Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Server Tools English

    All of these have the version "3.5.5692.0".

    A little more information:

    • SQL Server 2008 SP2 is installed (on the dev machine)
    • Various versions of SQL Server Compact components have been installed/uninstalled, as I try to resolve various issues (this is not the first issue)
    • "Microsoft Synchronization Services for ADO.NET v1 SP1 (Devices)" is also installed (Version 1.0.1218.0)

    Can anyone offer any clues as to whats causing this? I've been stuck on this for days now.

    Thanks.

    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:34 AM

Answers

  • Thanks ErikEJ,

    I have managed to work this out. I upgraded everything to SP2, and did a bunch of other things:

    - Upgraded SQL Server to 2008 R2.

    - Upgraded all the SQL Server Comapct 3.5 to SP2 (Except for Design Tools - the SP2 for that only works for 2010 I believe).

    - Ran the command "devenv /resetskippkgs" in the visual studio command prompt.

    That last step was rather important. I think it cleared out rubbish from the registry or something, so it would start using the current packages. Without that, it would not create datasources in the device app.

    There might have been some other steps, but those are all I can remember. It has been a frustrating time getting this going.


    -- EDIT --

    Just to clarify, I didnt un-install the SP1 components - I just installed SP2 (and let it replace them).

    • Edited by fweeee Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by fweeee Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:01 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:48 AM

All replies

  • This is the right forum.

    (manually) remove all traces of Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 English, and re-install the 3.5 SP2 desktop runtime.


    Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:34 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks ErikEJ,

    I have managed to work this out. I upgraded everything to SP2, and did a bunch of other things:

    - Upgraded SQL Server to 2008 R2.

    - Upgraded all the SQL Server Comapct 3.5 to SP2 (Except for Design Tools - the SP2 for that only works for 2010 I believe).

    - Ran the command "devenv /resetskippkgs" in the visual studio command prompt.

    That last step was rather important. I think it cleared out rubbish from the registry or something, so it would start using the current packages. Without that, it would not create datasources in the device app.

    There might have been some other steps, but those are all I can remember. It has been a frustrating time getting this going.


    -- EDIT --

    Just to clarify, I didnt un-install the SP1 components - I just installed SP2 (and let it replace them).

    • Edited by fweeee Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by fweeee Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:01 AM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:48 AM