none
Invalid URI: The Uri string is too long RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I'm creating a report (let's call it ReportA) with multiple drill-through links to the same drill-through report (let's call it ReportB).

The original report has 2 row groups and 2 column groups.

Each column / row group header in ReportA links to ReportB by passing the appropriate parameter values at each group level. For example if the top row grouping level is "Person" and the next level down is "Address" and the top column grouping level is "Year" and next level down is "Month" then with ReportB's parameters being pPerson, pAddress, pYear and pMonth respectively (all multi-value):

- when clicking the "Person" header it will link to ReportB by passing pPerson = "Person" and pAddress = all "Addresses" for that "Person" (obtained using the LookUpSet function)

- when clicking the "Address" header it will link to ReportB by passing pPerson = "Person" and pAddress = "Address"

Let's leave it to these two parameters for now to keep it simple.

Lower group levels are initially hidden and visibility can be toggled by clicking on their parent level header. This is the reason for using the LookUpSet function to retrieve appropriate Addresses when linking from the "Person" header.

In addition, other default parameters are passed to ReportB.

Imagine that I'm using the same drill-through capability on column headers and the "details" cells.

I run the orginal report, ReportA, selecting an initial date range and then I can drill-through to ReportB once ReportA is rendered. What happens is:

- when ReportA is run for a limited date range everything works fine

- when ReportA is run for a wider date range the following error is obtained:

"An error occurred during local report processing.
    Invalid URI: The Uri string is too long."

What gives ? I'm not linking to a URL anywhere in ReportA. I'm only linking to ReportB using the "Go to report" option in "Action" cell property.

Any input on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pos

Monday, April 30, 2012 11:27 AM

Answers

• Hi there

are you using report viewer control or you are talking about running report from ssrs 2008 r2 report manager have this problem

many thanks

syed

• Marked as answer by Pos CEO Monday, April 30, 2012 2:32 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Hi there

I have come across this issue in report viewer control and it is due to timeout issue inside development studio

I am glad that your problem has been resolved

Many thanks

Syed Qazafi

Please click "Mark as Answer" if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful.

• Marked as answer by Pos CEO Monday, April 30, 2012 12:25 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 12:14 PM

All replies

• Hi there

are you using report viewer control or you are talking about running report from ssrs 2008 r2 report manager have this problem

many thanks

syed

• Marked as answer by Pos CEO Monday, April 30, 2012 2:32 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 11:44 AM
  • Hi syed

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm running this in the BIDS

I haven't uploaded it yet in the report server.

oh btw, I forgot: I'm using

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Version 9.0.30729.4462 QFE
    Microsoft .NET Framework
    Version 3.5 SP1

The SQL server installed on my Win7 PC is 2008 R2. However I'm not sure what SQL versions are running on the servers I'm querying. I might be able to find out if it makes any difference.

Regarding running this in report manager: I suspect the same thing would happen there too, although I'm not sure I've tried it. I'll try it now and let you know.

Thanks

Pos

Monday, April 30, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Hi again syed

Well, I've just uploaded it to the report server and it works there!

I find this quite amazing.. I guess I should eat my own words now.

Is there any particular reason this is happening ?

Is there a way to circumvent this behavior so that I can test/run my report in BIDS ?

This is really good - you've saved me a lot of work that I was intending to scrap..

Many thanks

Pos

Monday, April 30, 2012 12:10 PM
  • Hi there

I have come across this issue in report viewer control and it is due to timeout issue inside development studio

I am glad that your problem has been resolved

Many thanks

Syed Qazafi

Please click "Mark as Answer" if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful.

• Marked as answer by Pos CEO Monday, April 30, 2012 12:25 PM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 12:14 PM
  • That's brilliant !

1st post here and I got a solution within less than 20' !

Have marked it as answered already.

regards

Pos

Monday, April 30, 2012 12:28 PM