none
Move ReportServer databases from 2008R2 server to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have an existing SQL 2008R2 server with SSRS installed and heap of reports with complex folder structures etc. 

I want to move these reports to my new 2016 server. 

The ReportServer  and ReportServerTempDB schemas have no doubt changed - what's the best way to move this report server configuration across. 

Do I install 2008R2 on my new server and then upgrade (not sure if this is possible yet)?

Thanks for reading.

Clay

Thursday, August 1, 2019 12:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Clay,

SSRS 2016 support in place upgrade from 2008R2, you could try with your propose. 

Another way is to move database from one the another. You could find very detailed solution in coming thread:SSRS migration from 2008 to 2016

For both way, I highly suggest to backup encryption key and the report server database first.

Hope this helps.

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Clay,

SSRS 2016 support in place upgrade from 2008R2, you could try with your propose. 

Another way is to move database from one the another. You could find very detailed solution in coming thread:SSRS migration from 2008 to 2016

For both way, I highly suggest to backup encryption key and the report server database first.

Hope this helps.

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:30 AM
  • Surprisingly, it all worked without issue i.e. I simply backed up and restored the 2008R2 ReportServer and ReportServerTempDb on the new server with SQL2017 (not 2016 like i stated above). 

I had to delete the row for the old server in the ReportServer Keys table + update the InstanceName on the row for the new server (otherwise you get an error regarding Scale-out deployment is not supported (or perhaps some other error if you're using Entrepise)) 

Backed up and restored encryption keys.

Good to go.

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:25 AM