none
How to create a custom tier above msmdpump.dll or create custom msmdpump.dll?? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to hit Analysis Services over HTTP but with custom authentication.  Is it possible to intercept the request before it gets to msmdpump and authenticate the user credentials coming from the client app?  Or is it even possible to implement some interface or inherit from a base class and create my custom msmdpump.dll?
    Friday, December 22, 2006 8:09 PM

Answers

• It is possible using standard ISAPI filter interfaces. msmdpump.dll is ISAPI extenstion, and by putting your ISAPI filter before it, you can intercept the HTTP request, extract all the fields you want and set token thread according to your custome authentication. In fact, there are commercial products which do just that.
    Friday, December 22, 2006 10:48 PM
  • You are somewhat oversimplifying what msmdpump.dll does. The HTTP to TCP/IP transition involves translation of headers (some of them are custom), which is non-trivial piece, managing the pooling under different security settings etc. It is possible, of course, to replicate its functionality, but I am afraid "simple webpage" won't be enough to do it.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2007 2:43 AM

All replies

• It is possible using standard ISAPI filter interfaces. msmdpump.dll is ISAPI extenstion, and by putting your ISAPI filter before it, you can intercept the HTTP request, extract all the fields you want and set token thread according to your custome authentication. In fact, there are commercial products which do just that.
    Friday, December 22, 2006 10:48 PM
  • I would like to do this in .NET but ISAPI filter can only be written in C or C++.  Since all msmdpump does is send the request XMLA to Analysis Server, can I create a simple webpage that does the same thing?
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 2:34 PM
  • You are somewhat oversimplifying what msmdpump.dll does. The HTTP to TCP/IP transition involves translation of headers (some of them are custom), which is non-trivial piece, managing the pooling under different security settings etc. It is possible, of course, to replicate its functionality, but I am afraid "simple webpage" won't be enough to do it.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2007 2:43 AM