none
Oracle - SQL migration. SSMA trimming trailing spaces RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm using SSMA 5.1 to migrate Oracle data to SQL 2012 RC0. Some of the tables report key violations on transfer due to the source having trailing spaces in the PK (which is definitely a data quality issue at source, but we may not be able to fix this).

Is there any way of forcing SSMA to retain the trailing spaces on migration?

Thanks

Ewan

If you have found this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link (the green triangle and number on the top-left).

If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.
    Friday, January 13, 2012 3:29 PM

Answers

• Hi Ewan,

Regarding to  your description, seems you tired to migrate Oracle data source to SQL Server using SSMA to retain the trailing spaces for PK.

Based on my research, the trailing blanks (spaces) are ignored by the indexer. Since a Primary Key must be indexed, PK CONSTRAINT relies upon the index. So the trailing spaces cannot be retain as you desire.

For more information, please refer to Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Oracle

Regards, Amber zhang
    • Marked as answer by Ewan Monday, January 16, 2012 12:27 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 3:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Ewan,

Regarding to  your description, seems you tired to migrate Oracle data source to SQL Server using SSMA to retain the trailing spaces for PK.

Based on my research, the trailing blanks (spaces) are ignored by the indexer. Since a Primary Key must be indexed, PK CONSTRAINT relies upon the index. So the trailing spaces cannot be retain as you desire.

For more information, please refer to Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Oracle

Regards, Amber zhang
    • Marked as answer by Ewan Monday, January 16, 2012 12:27 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 3:54 AM
  • Thanks for that.

I should have verified that myself before posting the question. I had assumed that behaviour had changed in more recent versions of SQL, but clearly not...

Regards

Ewan

If you have found this post helpful, please click the 'Vote as Helpful' link (the green triangle and number on the top-left).

If this post answers your question, click the 'Mark As Answered' link below. It helps others who experience the same issue in future to find the solution.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 12:26 PM