none
Cannot connect to analysis services from SSMS RRS feed

• Question

• I can connect to my analysis services cubes from Excel and other client tools fine, I can publish to it from VS 2012 fine, but I often cannot connect to it from SSMS. The error I receive is:

Element 'return' was not found. Line 5, position 2. (System.Xml)

------------------------------
    Program Location:

at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadStartElement(String name)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaReader.ReadStartElement(String name)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.SupportsProperty(String propName)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.Connect(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo, Boolean beginSession)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Connect(Boolean toIXMLA)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.ConnectIXmla()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.ConnectToIXMLA(Boolean createSession)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlStudio.Explorer.ObjectExplorerService.ValidateConnection(UIConnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectionThreadUser()

The server version is 11.0.3368, or 2012 SP1 CU4. The client version is the same.

On occasion I can connect to it from SSMS, it worked for a short time yesterday, but today I am back to getting the error.

Friday, July 26, 2013 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Currently, it is hard to find the cause of the issue. Can you try to increase the value of the connection time-out under connection properties page when you connect to SSAS through SSMS?
    If the issue presists, please review the error log for more detail infromation.

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by AlbertoMango Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:17 PM
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Currently, it is hard to find the cause of the issue. Can you try to increase the value of the connection time-out under connection properties page when you connect to SSAS through SSMS?
    If the issue presists, please review the error log for more detail infromation.

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click  here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by AlbertoMango Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:17 PM
    Sunday, July 28, 2013 7:00 AM
  • Thanks, I tried that shortly after I had posted the message and found that it did the trick.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:17 PM