none
Cannot connect to OLAP using SharePoint Integration Mode RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know how to resolve this connection issue?

We're using Reporting Services 2008 in SharePoint 2007 (SP1) integration mode. Our SharePoint server already uses Excel Web Access to access our OLAP data sources using Kerberos authentication so I know the SPNs and delegations are set up correctly. EWA works just fine.

I'm using Report Builder 2.0 to to create a new report that connects to an Analysis Services 2005 OLAP database using Windows Authentication. When I run the report from the SharePoint Library, I get the following error.

• An error occurred during client rendering.
      • An error has occurred during report processing.
        • Cannot create a connection to data source 'OLAP_WWPSS_RL'.
          • The connection either timed out or was lost.
            • Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
              • An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

I have verified that the RSReportServer.config file contains this:

<Authentication>
                <AuthenticationTypes>
                        <RSWindowsNegotiate />
                        <RSWindowsKerberos />
                </AuthenticationTypes>
                <EnableAuthPersistence>true</EnableAuthPersistence>
         </Authentication>

And the app.config file contains:

<authentication mode="Windows" />
        <identity impersonate="true" />

What else do I need to make this work?

Kerry
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:09 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Kerry,

Please check the following document to confirm configuration issue.

How to: Retrieve Data from an Analysis Services Cube (MDX) (Report Builder 2.0)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239327.aspx

Then, you should also check your network connection, just like firewall. Finally, using BIDS 2008 to reopen this report and try to connect again.

If all of these don’t work, could you please collect the following log file to help troubleshoot?

1.         Detailed Error Information

2.         OS Edition and Version

3.         SQL Server Edition and Version

4.         SharePoint Service Edition and Version

5.         In SQL Server log folder as below

For SQL 2005 “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.x\Reporting Services\LogFiles\”

For SQL 2008 “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.<instance_name>\Reporting Services\LogFiles\”

6.         Detailed SharePoint log

You may find these logs from “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS\”

7.         In Windows Application Event, please post SQL Server Error information.

Hope this helps.

Garsy Liang - MSFT
    Monday, January 19, 2009 12:43 PM

All replies

•  A couple of things that I know...

1. this works from the middle tier server when I run the reports in the browser (hmm... sounds like a double hop trust issue then)
    2. this works when I use "unconstrained" Kerberos delegation (hmmm... sounds like a double hop trust issue then)

Our company does not allow unconstrained delegation so I need to find the correct delegations to set up for our situation. Here is a wonderful blog from Rob Kerr that I am going to try to resolve our trust issues...

http://www.robkerr.com/post/2008/05/Microsoft-BI-with-Constrained-Kerberos-Delegation.aspx
    Kerry
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:03 PM
  •  

Hi Kerry,

Please check the following document to confirm configuration issue.

How to: Retrieve Data from an Analysis Services Cube (MDX) (Report Builder 2.0)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239327.aspx

Then, you should also check your network connection, just like firewall. Finally, using BIDS 2008 to reopen this report and try to connect again.

If all of these don’t work, could you please collect the following log file to help troubleshoot?

1.         Detailed Error Information

2.         OS Edition and Version

3.         SQL Server Edition and Version

4.         SharePoint Service Edition and Version

5.         In SQL Server log folder as below

For SQL 2005 “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.x\Reporting Services\LogFiles\”

For SQL 2008 “C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.<instance_name>\Reporting Services\LogFiles\”

6.         Detailed SharePoint log

You may find these logs from “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\LOGS\”

7.         In Windows Application Event, please post SQL Server Error information.

Hope this helps.

Garsy Liang - MSFT
    Monday, January 19, 2009 12:43 PM