none
SSRS 2016 Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I've been searching everywhere on the net but could not find and answer to my problem, so hopefully someone here will be able to help me.

We have a SQL 2014 installation including SSRS 2014. We want to upgrade only SSRS to 2016. We do not want to upgrade the entire SQL installation (only the SSRS part). So my questions are:

1. Is this possible?

2. Will there be any additional licensing costs involved?

Thank you very much!

Theo

Monday, November 28, 2016 12:24 PM

Answers

• @Windingo5632, sounds like you want to omit upgrading the 2 SSRS databases and leave them in SQL 2014 ... is that correct?

When you say "upgrade" are you referring to only using the SQL Installation Center "Upgrade" wizard or are you merely referring to having the SSRS pieces on 2016 and not necessarily go though the upgrade wizard?

1 ... it is possible to have SSRS 2016 (configuration / web pieces) and have the SSRS databases  remain on SQL 2014

2 ... depending on your license agreement with Microsoft, I expect there will be additional licensing costs for the additional instance of SSRS 2016 

SOTATS, Inc.

• Proposed as answer by Pirlo Zhang Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Windingo5632 Tuesday, November 29, 2016 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:10 AM

All replies

• @Windingo5632, sounds like you want to omit upgrading the 2 SSRS databases and leave them in SQL 2014 ... is that correct?

When you say "upgrade" are you referring to only using the SQL Installation Center "Upgrade" wizard or are you merely referring to having the SSRS pieces on 2016 and not necessarily go though the upgrade wizard?

1 ... it is possible to have SSRS 2016 (configuration / web pieces) and have the SSRS databases  remain on SQL 2014

2 ... depending on your license agreement with Microsoft, I expect there will be additional licensing costs for the additional instance of SSRS 2016 

SOTATS, Inc.

• Proposed as answer by Pirlo Zhang Tuesday, November 29, 2016 7:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Windingo5632 Tuesday, November 29, 2016 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:10 AM
  • Thank you very much for the response!

We only want to upgrade SSRS to 2016. We have many other operational databases which are all running SQL 2014 and we would like to keep them on SQL 2014. Main reason is cost, we already purchased 2014 and do not want to now also purchase 2016 as well. 

But the new features of SSRS 2016 looks awesome, so we were hoping to only upgrade the SSRS part to 2016 with minimal financial impact. But from your answer it seems as if we have to pay a licensing fee for the instance that 2016 SSRS runs on. In that case it might then make sense to just go all the way and upgrade everything to 2016.

Thanks for your help!!!

Theo

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 1:58 PM
  • @Windingo5632, of course having a new production instance of SSRS 2016 will incur Microsoft license cost that you do not currently incur.

Beware, simply upgrading everything to SQL 2016 does not mean that the licensing costs automatically stay the same.  As you may already be aware, with each new release it seems that Microsoft makes some changes in the license/cost structure.  Before you proceed it would be VERY PRUDENT to check on the license cost for the upgrade. 

Most MSDN forum participants are "new feature geeks" ... having new features is like receiving a new toy ... however for production servers I always caution to make the strong use case before actually installing.  Ask yourself how and when you will actually use the new feature and most importantly, how much existing code will have to be re-written and do you have the skill and infrastructure to take full advantage.

It may turn out that before you will actually be able to use the new cool SSRS 2016 feature, the next version of SQL Server (SSRS) will be available and it will have even "cooler" features.

SOTATS, Inc.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:35 PM