none
Add an an attribute to a dimension as a result of concatenation RRS feed

• Question

• I have two attributes in my dimension : FirstName and LastName. I want to concatenate them into an only one attribute (in my cube). How can I do that ?
    Monday, May 20, 2019 2:13 PM

Answers

• Hi Amira, 

There are couple of ways to do this in SSAS Multidimensional Model. Firstly, you can concatenate them in the underlying database by creating view or adding a column in the underlying table. Secondary, you can create a named calculation or create a named query as you mentioned. Then it will become part of the "Customers" dimension after refreshing or processing.

Ousama EL HOR

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer"  of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful"  button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

[User Page]     [MSDN Page]     [Blog]     [Linkedin]

• Marked as answer by Test test tes Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:08 AM
    Monday, May 20, 2019 2:46 PM
  • Hi Amira,

Thanks for your question.

Here are steps for your reference.

Step1 open that dimension under SSAS multidimensional project

Step 2 right click anywhere in the Data Source View panel, select Edit Data Source View menu

Step 3 find that dimension table, then select the whole table, right click, select New named calculation

Step 4 Edit Named Calculation, then save it.

Step 5  Back to the dimension design, drag that column to the attribute.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Amira, 

There are couple of ways to do this in SSAS Multidimensional Model. Firstly, you can concatenate them in the underlying database by creating view or adding a column in the underlying table. Secondary, you can create a named calculation or create a named query as you mentioned. Then it will become part of the "Customers" dimension after refreshing or processing.

Ousama EL HOR

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer"  of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful"  button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

[User Page]     [MSDN Page]     [Blog]     [Linkedin]

• Marked as answer by Test test tes Tuesday, May 21, 2019 8:08 AM
    Monday, May 20, 2019 2:46 PM
  • Hi Amira,

Thanks for your question.

Here are steps for your reference.

Step1 open that dimension under SSAS multidimensional project

Step 2 right click anywhere in the Data Source View panel, select Edit Data Source View menu

Step 3 find that dimension table, then select the whole table, right click, select New named calculation

Step 4 Edit Named Calculation, then save it.

Step 5  Back to the dimension design, drag that column to the attribute.

Best Regards,

Will

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:22 AM