none
ProcessAdd using AMO SQL 2016 "System.NotImplementedException"

Question

• Recently upgraded from SQL 2014 to SQL 2016. We use AMO to perform regular ProcessAdd operations on our SSAS databases.

After modifying the code to add a reference to "Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core" I get a "NotImplementedException" when performing the ProcessAdd.

It looks like ProcessAdd has been deprecated? And the only option is to go back to SQL 2014

Here is some sample code:

var Svr = new Server();
                Svr.Connect("Data Source=.;Provider=MSOLAP.6;Integrated Security=SSPI;Impersonation Level=Impersonate;");
                var Db = Svr.Databases.FindByName("AdventureWorksDW2014Multidimensional-EE");
                var cube = Db.Cubes.FindByName("Adventure Works");

var measureGroup = cube.MeasureGroups.FindByName("Sales Orders");

foreach (Partition partition in measureGroup.Partitions)
                {
                    QueryBinding queryBinding = (QueryBinding)partition.Source;
                    partition.Process(ProcessType.ProcessAdd, queryBinding);
                }

{System.NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.AnalysisServicesClient.WriteProcess(XmlWriter output, IMajorObject obj, ProcessType type, IBinding source, ErrorConfiguration errorConfig, WriteBackTableCreation writebackOption, JaXmlSerializer serializer)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.AnalysisServicesClient.Process(IMajorObject obj, ProcessType type, IBinding source, ErrorConfiguration errorConfig, WriteBackTableCreation writebackOption, ImpactDetailCollection impact, XmlaWarningCollection warnings, JaXmlSerializer serializer)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.Server.Process(IMajorObject obj, ProcessType processType, IBinding source, ErrorConfiguration errorConfig, WriteBackTableCreation writebackOption, XmlaWarningCollection warnings, ImpactDetailCollection impactResult, Boolean analyzeImpactOnly)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.Server.SendProcess(IMajorObject obj, ProcessType processType, IBinding source, ErrorConfiguration errorConfig, WriteBackTableCreation writebackOption, XmlaWarningCollection warnings, ImpactDetailCollection impactResult, Boolean analyzeImpactOnly)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.ProcessableMajorObject.Process(ProcessType type, IBinding source)
       at ConsoleApplication1.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Users\richardk\Desktop\Dump\ConsoleApplication1\Program.cs:line 30
       at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(RuntimeAssembly assembly, String[] args)
       at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()}

Monday, September 12, 2016 12:23 AM

Answers

• I'd say this is definitely a bug. Using Reflector I can see that it's checking if the binding implements IQueryBinding (which the built-in QueryBinding object does not). I've posted this as a connect bug here https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/3110077 

I've also figured out a workaround which is that you can create a class in your own project which does implement IQueryBinding and then pass that in.

eg.

public class MyBinding : Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.IQueryBinding
        {
            public MyBinding(string dataSourceID, string queryDefinition)
            {
                DataSourceID = dataSourceID;
                QueryDefinition = queryDefinition;
            }
            public string DataSourceID { get; set; }
            public string QueryDefinition { get; set; }
            public ISite Site { get; set; }
            public event EventHandler Disposed;
            public void Dispose() { }
        }

which you would use as follows:

var qb = new MyBinding("Adventure Works DW", "SELECT * FROM table");
    partition.Process(ProcessType.ProcessAdd, qb);

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

• Marked as answer by Richard Kong Wednesday, November 02, 2016 11:44 AM
    Wednesday, November 02, 2016 6:17 AM

All replies

• Hello Richard,

See ProcessType Enumeration => ProcessAdd => "Performs an incremental update. Can be used for dimensions and partitions", but not for complete measure groups. Even in SSMS / SSDT you can not "Process Add" for a measure group.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Monday, September 12, 2016 4:29 AM
  • I am doing a ProcessAdd on a partition not a measure group.

I have reverted the sdk version back to SQL 2014 and the code works as is. 

Monday, September 12, 2016 4:31 AM
  • Another option to is write your own function that generates the XMLA and then looks in the result set returned for errors
    Tuesday, November 01, 2016 2:41 PM
  • I'd say this is definitely a bug. Using Reflector I can see that it's checking if the binding implements IQueryBinding (which the built-in QueryBinding object does not). I've posted this as a connect bug here https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/3110077 

I've also figured out a workaround which is that you can create a class in your own project which does implement IQueryBinding and then pass that in.

eg.

public class MyBinding : Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.IQueryBinding
        {
            public MyBinding(string dataSourceID, string queryDefinition)
            {
                DataSourceID = dataSourceID;
                QueryDefinition = queryDefinition;
            }
            public string DataSourceID { get; set; }
            public string QueryDefinition { get; set; }
            public ISite Site { get; set; }
            public event EventHandler Disposed;
            public void Dispose() { }
        }

which you would use as follows:

var qb = new MyBinding("Adventure Works DW", "SELECT * FROM table");
    partition.Process(ProcessType.ProcessAdd, qb);

• Marked as answer by Richard Kong Wednesday, November 02, 2016 11:44 AM
    Wednesday, November 02, 2016 6:17 AM
  • Thanks Darren, that is a better solution than generating and executing the XMLA
    Wednesday, November 02, 2016 9:07 AM
  • Cool, I also touched bases with a contact on the product team and this is an issue they are aware of and they do hope to have a proper fix out soon.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 11:43 AM
  • Great work, but we are using VB can you please assist in the converting to code VB?

PS

Did Microsoft answer regarding this bug? will it be fixed?

Thank you

• Edited by Yoni_5 Wednesday, February 07, 2018 4:21 PM
    Wednesday, February 07, 2018 4:18 PM
  • Great work, but we are using VB can you please assist in the converting to code VB?

There are a bunch of online tools which should be able to easily convert the C# to VB 

eg. http://converter.telerik.com/ 

Did Microsoft answer regarding this bug? will it be fixed?

Unfortunately Microsoft had to close the connect site where the bug was originally reported as it did not comply with some of the newly introduced EU privacy laws so we can't confirm that this issue was closed. But from checking v14 of the AMO libraries it looks like these new versions do implement the IQueryBinding interface correctly, so I'd say the issue has been fixed if you are using the latest version of these libraries.

Thursday, February 08, 2018 3:04 AM