none
installing database in a new SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm learning Power Query from a book, which uses AdventureWorks2016 (not LT or DW versions) for its examples.  The book doesn't list SQL or T-SQL as prerequisites, and I know neither.  This post is to ask for help with installing my first SQL server and database, unless there's an AdventureWorks2016 database to which anyone can connect or you can recommend another solution.

Since I don't have AdventureWorks2016.bacpac to import into Azure SQL Database, Azure (which would be easier) isn't a feasible solution.  SQL Server's Express edition should be an adequate solution, but where are its Microsoft Docs to install a SQL server on a personal computer with Windows 10?  After I install a server, I should attach a datafile for AdventureWorks2016?  Thanks!

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 11:06 PM

Answers

• Did you install SQL Server on your machine?

No Ronen, I haven't installed anything.  I'm getting started by searching for instructions.  I found Microsoft Docs for the non-Express editions to install a SQL server but not for the Express edition, which I assume would be easier.
    Hi rootsmusic,

You need to install your SQL server on your machine first. If you want to install SQL server Express edition, please follow steps from Installing SQL Server 2017 Express. After that, please follow the steps that Ronen mentioned above. 

Best regards,
    Cathy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 12, 2019 2:20 AM

All replies

• hi,

Did you install SQL Server on your machine?

If yes then:

1. confirm it is running: 

run -> services.msc

this command will open the services in your machine.

2. Find a service named "SQL Server"

In the Brackets you have the name of the SQL Server Instance - you use this name in order to connect to the server

make sure the service is running

SQL Server is actually a SET of services and there is no GUI like Access or other applications you usually use in your machine. SQL Server works behind the scenes. To manage SQL Server you need a client application like "SQL Server Management Studio" or "Azure Data Studio".

3. Download and install SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) from this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/ssms/download-sql-server-management-studio-ssms?view=sql-server-2017

4. Open the SSMS and connect the server using Windows Authentication and in the server name use ".\Instance_Name"

where Instance_Name is the name you got in step 2

Did you succeed to connect he server?

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:38 AM

No Ronen, I haven't installed anything.  I'm getting started by searching for instructions.  I found Microsoft Docs for the non-Express editions to install a SQL server but not for the Express edition, which I assume would be easier.
    Thursday, September 12, 2019 12:49 AM

Hi rootsmusic,

You need to install your SQL server on your machine first. If you want to install SQL server Express edition, please follow steps from Installing SQL Server 2017 Express. After that, please follow the steps that Ronen mentioned above. 

Best regards,
    Cathy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to  MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 12, 2019 2:20 AM