none
stopped listening on [ \\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER ] due to a failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I took database backup to 4 databases from SQL Server Express 2014 R2 last sunday(8/Sep). Database backup did not succeed as there was less disk space. We could observe below errors from windows event log and sql server log:

Server local connection provider has stopped listening on [ \\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER ] due to a failure. Error: 0xe8, state: 4. The server will automatically attempt to re-establish listening.

And Windows Server 2012 CPU utilization goes high up to 100% and stays for more than 15 minutes.

I need help to understand and resove this issue

Thank you

Thursday, September 12, 2019 11:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I took database backup to 4 databases from SQL Server Express 2014 R2 last sunday(8/Sep). Database backup did not succeed as there was less disk space. We could observe below errors from windows event log and sql server log:

Server local connection provider has stopped listening on [ \\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER ] due to a failure. Error: 0xe8, state: 4. The server will automatically attempt to re-establish listening.

And Windows Server 2012 CPU utilization goes high up to 100% and stays for more than 15 minutes.

I need help to understand and resove this issue

Thank you

Good day <?!?>

>> Database backup did not succeed as there was less disk space. We could observe below errors from windows event log and sql server log:

If you know the source of the issue then what do you need?
    Not clear to me what you seek if you know that you need more space. You can buy another disk or free space in existing one.
    please clarify

On the way, you can take a look on the following post where I present something that you should never do in production probably😀
    http://ariely.info/Blog/tabid/83/EntryId/118/shrink-SQL-database-during-restore.aspx

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Okay. I understand that backup failed due to less disk space. I cleaned up and gained disk space.

I didn't continue to harp on making database backup at all as I understand it failed!

Now I see in the event log and SQL Server log below errors for the past two days:

\\.\pipe\SQLLocal\MSSQLSERVER ] due to a failure. Error: 0xe8, state: 4. The server will automatically attempt to re-establish listening.

1. I would like to understand what causes this error?
    2. Is this causing 100% CPU usage?
    3. How to ensure this does not happen again?

Thank you

Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:49 PM
  • Hi,

Error code 0xe8 is related to the pipe is being closed. Make sure that the Named pipes protocol is enabled using SQL Server Configuration Manager.

SQL server listen for requests on all enabled protocols at the same time. The client by default connect to the server and try the protocols in the order listed in SQL Server Configuration Manager. If one is closed it should try the next if time is not over.

Check the following document for more information:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/tools/configuration-manager/choosing-a-network-protocol?view=sql-server-2014

If it is already enabled then check the following post:
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sql_protocols/2005/12/21/troubleshoot-connectivity-issue-in-sql-server-2005-part-iii/

signature   Ronen Ariely

Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:22 PM
  • Its MS SQL Server 2014 Express and Named Pipe is enabled and have restarted SQL Service. If I understand right, SQL Server backup uses Named Pipe protocol to perform backup operations?

I want to understand why Named Pipe is getting closed that lead to Error code 0xe8. (or) SQL Server is running out of connections?
    Saturday, September 14, 2019 4:03 AM
  • Its MS SQL Server 2014 Express and Named Pipe is enabled and have restarted SQL Service. If I understand right, SQL Server backup uses Named Pipe protocol to perform backup operations?

I want to understand why Named Pipe is getting closed that lead to Error code 0xe8. (or) SQL Server is running out of connections?

hi,

Sorry, but I cannot answer the question "why Named Pipe is getting closed" in your specific case without monitoring your machine or getting more information (result of monitoring the machine). I can only discuss common cases.

>> SQL Server backup uses Named Pipe protocol to perform backup operations?

No. Backup action is not directly related to the protocol which you use to connect the server. You can disable the name-pipe and execute simple backup query.

I recommend to go over the following post:
    https://www.sqlshack.com/sql-server-network-configuration/

signature   Ronen Ariely

Sunday, September 15, 2019 10:59 PM