none
Uninstall old version after Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

• I have a SQL Server 2012 on my PC . I have Upgraded it to 2016 . 
    • I opened  "Uninstall or change  a program" . I found old version beside newer one . is it safe to uninstall them ?

ASk

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 4:07 AM

All replies

• if you have upgraded SQL Server 2008 to 2012 then dont uninstall.if you have installed a named instance then you can uninstall it

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 4:44 AM
  • is it safe to uninstall them ?

It's more safe to don't touch them.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 5:32 AM
  • Hi himo,

Uninstalling SQL Server 2008 features will not affect the SQL Server 2016, but please first confirm that these features are not used by other instance on your machine.

Please first use the SQL Server 2008 (64-bit) and SQL Server 2012 (64-bit) to remove some features which are not usable.

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:22 AM
  • Yes you can uninstall then IF you are sure you will not use SQL Server 2008 again. This is poor MS upgrade which is not removing the old version correctly. There is no official document starting why it was not removed or if removed you would face issue. 

Before that can you run SQl Server discovery report and post the output here. it should not show 2008 component, it may show client components but that is highly unlikely 

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:31 AM