none
AdventureWorks2017 vs. AdventureWorksDW2017 RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder what the difference is between the 2 databases in the title? I installed successfully AdventureWorks2017. I can see all tables and open up the records. It is a very useful tool. However, I cannot fill the other database: warehouse. The way the restoration worked for me was that I got the headings in the Object Explorer but no tables at all, I mean no file tables. Even the system tables are absent, only one is there. I tried to restore the DW database a couple of times with proper options and after a few fails, it finally said that the database restored successfully. Successfully in what sense? Still there are no tables.

Please explain what the DW database is. Perhaps I don't need it at all.

Thanks, - MyCatAlex

Friday, November 1, 2019 5:46 PM

All replies

• There is no relationship between AdventureWorks and AdventureWorksDW.  They are different databases used for different purposes and examples.

Friday, November 1, 2019 5:58 PM
  • Not enough for me to mark your post as an answer. I need to know more about AdventureWorksDW2017.
    Friday, November 1, 2019 6:31 PM
  • OK, I now know the difference between AdventureWorksDW and AdventureWorks

OLAP, OPTP

however I still don't know why I cannot get any data in DW when the restore process tells me that the database DW was restored successfully.

- MyCatAlex

Friday, November 1, 2019 7:05 PM
  • Hi Friend, 

You can read about this in : 

AdventureWorks Database

or 

SQL SERVER – What is AdventureWorks?

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Database Analyst - Sql Server and Oracle]

Friday, November 1, 2019 7:55 PM
  • Hi Friend, 

You can read about this in : 

AdventureWorks Database

or 

SQL SERVER – What is AdventureWorks?

If this answer has helped you, mark it helpful so that someone else with a question or similar problem can find an answer or help more easily. Jefferson Clyton Pereira da Silva - [MCSA | MCP | MCTS | MTA | Database Analyst - Sql Server and Oracle]

I don't download anything that it not Microsoft authored.The top of the page must say Microsoft.

- MyCatAlex

Saturday, November 2, 2019 1:52 AM
  • however I still don't know why I cannot get any data in DW when the restore process tells me that the database DW was restored successfully.

- MyCatAlex

Can you drop the existing AdventureWorksDW2017 and restore the backup again. 

Also post the screenshot where you see only DB but no tables.

I downloaded AdventureWorksDW2017.bak from here and restored it. I can see the tables. 

Regards,
    Vaibhav

Saturday, November 2, 2019 12:41 PM