Error Installing SQL Server Express 2008: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission. RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried installing SQL Server 2008 multiple times on my machine, and I always receive this error about 3/4 of the way through: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission.

I have tried installing both SQL Server Express 2008 with Tools and SQL Server Express 2008 with Advanced Services, and they both fail the same way. I am trying to do a new stand-alone installation.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition SP3.

Looking into the error, some forums say I have to install it from THE Administrator account, and not an account with administrator permissions; it also cannot be in Safe Mode, because then the Windows Installer won't work. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to login to the Administrator account. I can go to the home login screen, do ctrl+alt+del twice, and attempt to login to the Administrator account, but I receive this error: Unable to Log You on because of an Account Restriction.

Other forums say that in the Server Configuration section, all you have to do is provide the username and a strong password from an administrative account on the computer, and it doesn't have to be THE Administrator. Well, I did that, but for some reason it doesn't recognize my username and password, it says something like "The credentials you provided for the SQL Server Agent are invalid". BUT THOSE ARE THE CORRECT CREDENTIALS FOR MY ADMINISTRATIVE USER! So I'm forced to use one of the accounts without a password, like NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. That's the only way I can get past this step.

Also, just FYI, on the next step, which is Database Engine Configuration, I am using Mixed Mode for the Security Mode. I AGAIN provide a password, and then add my current user (who IS an administrator on my machine!) to the SQL Server Administrators box.

But yet, it fails every single time.

This is pathetic and ridiculous. I must have tried to install this thing 15 times, that is not an exaggeration. I'm posting this on several other forums as well, maybe an MVP or Bill Gates himself can help me.

I have one of the log files from a failed installation. If someone would like to see it, I will post it.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 5:46 PM

Answers

• FINALLY got this installed!

Someone with a keen eye noticed that my computer name and account name were the same, and this was causing problems.  So I changed my computer name, and it installed correctly.

One other suggestion that I didn't try was to uninstall SP3 on XP and then install SQL Server 2008.  Apparently there are some security issues with SP3 and SQL Server 2008.  So if anyone else is having troubles, you could try that (along with the other solutions I tried in my original post).

I'm not sure if that will help anyone else here who is having problems, but it might help some.
    • Marked as answer by Steven01025 Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:36 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:36 PM

All replies

•  

I am having almost the same problem.  I get to the point of Server Configuration and it says 'The specified creditionals that were provided for the SQL Server service are not valid.  To continue, provide a valid account and password for the SQL Server service.  I have seen no where to create an account.  I have tried leaving the username and password blank and also putting in a username and password to know avail....

Did you ever figure it out?  Did any one ever respond to you?  I am trying to get this set up so I can work on a project and it is really driving me crazy.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:33 PM
  • Hello,

Please, could you have a look on the excellent answer of Mike Wachal you will find here :

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4160294&SiteID=1

Don't hesitate to post again for more help or explanations

Have a nice day

PS : if you are talking about the Sql Server Agent Service, it is disabled for Sql Server Express. It is enabled only for the Workgroup/Standard/Dev and Entreprise Editions

Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:49 AM
  •  Papy Normand wrote:

Hello,

Please, could you have a look on the excellent answer of Mike Wachal you will find here :

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4160294&SiteID=1

Have a nice day

PS : if you are talking about the Sql Server Agent Service, it is disabled for Sql Server Express. It is enabled only for the Workgroup/Standard/Dev and Entreprise Editions

Sorry, but I've tried the suggestion in that link, and it hasn't helped me.

For anyone wonder, the link is talking about the problem in Server Configuration where I enter my Windows user account and password (which is in the Administrative group), but it says the credentials are invalid.  The link suggests that you need to either enter your Windows account (which I did, and it wouldn't let me go to the next step), or to use one of the built in accounts (which I also tried, but it gave me the " '' is not a valid login" error during the installation).

Any other ideas?

I haven't had any answers from any other forums either, so I'll just post my log file in case anyone wants to look at this:

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.
      Exit code (Decimal):           -2068643839
      Exit facility code:            1203
      Exit error code:               1
      Exit message:                  SQL Server installation failed. To continue, investigate the reason for the failure, correct the problem, uninstall SQL Server, and then rerun SQL Server Setup.
      Start time:                    2008-11-17 11:13:47
      End time:                      2008-11-17 12:17:25
      Requested action:              Install
      Log with failure:              C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\Detail.txt
      Exception help link:           http%3a%2f%2fgo.microsoft.com%2ffwlink%3fLinkId%3d20476%26ProdName%3dMicrosoft%2bSQL%2bServer%26EvtSrc%3dsetup.rll%26EvtID%3d50000%26ProdVer%3d10.0.1600.22%26EvtType%3d0xBE029E38%400x12C2466D

Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  STEVEN
      Machine processor count:       2
      OS version:                    Windows XP
      OS service pack:               Service Pack 3
      OS region:                     United States
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x86
      Process architecture:          32 Bit
      OS clustered:                  No

Product features discovered:
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered

Package properties:
      Description:                   SQL Server Database Services 2008
      SQLProductFamilyCode:          {628F8F38-600E-493D-9946-F4178F20A8A9}
      ProductName:                   SQL2008
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       10
      SPLevel:                       0
      Installation location:         D:\x86\setup\
      Installation edition:          DEVELOPER

User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        Install
      ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN:      False
      AGTSVCACCOUNT:                 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      AGTSVCPASSWORD:                *****
      AGTSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Manual
      ASBACKUPDIR:                   C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Backup
      ASCOLLATION:                   Latin1_General_CI_AS
      ASCONFIGDIR:                   C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Config
      ASDATADIR:                     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data
      ASDOMAINGROUP:                 <empty>
      ASLOGDIR:                      C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Log
      ASPROVIDERMSOLAP:              1
      ASSVCACCOUNT:                  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      ASSVCPASSWORD:                 *****
      ASSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      ASSYSADMINACCOUNTS:            STEVEN\Steven
      ASTEMPDIR:                     C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Temp
      BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE:         Disabled
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:             C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\ConfigurationFile.ini
      ENABLERANU:                    False
      ERRORREPORTING:                False
      FEATURES:                      SQLENGINE,REPLICATION,FULLTEXT,AS,RS,BIDS,CONN,IS,BC,SDK,BOL,SSMS,ADV_SSMS,SNAC_SDK,OCS
      FILESTREAMLEVEL:               0
      FILESTREAMSHARENAME:           <empty>
      FTSVCACCOUNT:                  NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE
      FTSVCPASSWORD:                 *****
      HELP:                          False
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              False
      INSTALLSHAREDDIR:              C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTALLSHAREDWOWDIR:           C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTALLSQLDATADIR:             <empty>
      INSTANCEDIR:                   C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
      INSTANCEID:                    MSSQLSERVER
      INSTANCENAME:                  MSSQLSERVER
      ISSVCACCOUNT:                  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      ISSVCPASSWORD:                 *****
      ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      MEDIASOURCE:                   D:\
      NPENABLED:                     0
      PID:                           *****
      QUIET:                         False
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   False
      RSINSTALLMODE:                 DefaultNativeMode
      RSSVCACCOUNT:                  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      RSSVCPASSWORD:                 *****
      RSSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
      SAPWD:                         *****
      SECURITYMODE:                  SQL
      SQLBACKUPDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLCOLLATION:                  SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS
      SQLSVCACCOUNT:                 NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
      SQLSVCPASSWORD:                *****
      SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE:             Automatic
      SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS:           STEVEN\Steven
      SQLTEMPDBDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLTEMPDBLOGDIR:               <empty>
      SQLUSERDBDIR:                  <empty>
      SQLUSERDBLOGDIR:               <empty>
      SQMREPORTING:                  False
      TCPENABLED:                    0
      X86:                           False

Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:
      Feature:                       Database Engine Services
      MSI status:                    Passed
      Configuration status:          Failed: see details below
      Configuration error code:      0x12C2466D
      Configuration error description: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission.
      Configuration log:             C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\Detail.txt

Feature:                       SQL Client Connectivity SDK
      Configuration status:          Passed

Feature:                       SQL Server Replication
      Configuration error description: '' is not a valid login or you do not have permission.
      Configuration log:             C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\Detail.txt

Feature:                       Full-Text Search

Feature:                       Analysis Services

Feature:                       Reporting Services

Feature:                       Integration Services

Feature:                       Client Tools Connectivity

Feature:                       Management Tools - Complete

Feature:                       Management Tools - Basic

Feature:                       Client Tools SDK

Feature:                       Client Tools Backwards Compatibility

Feature:                       Business Intelligence Development Studio

Feature:                       SQL Server Books Online

Feature:                       Microsoft Sync Framework

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081117_110917\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Monday, November 24, 2008 12:38 AM
  • Can anyone help me?
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:30 AM
  • bump.
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 6:51 PM
  • Hello,

Maybe, it is maybe a bad rule butfor the services, i am always using an account which is administrator of the computer so i am sure that i will have no problem of security ( except for Sql Browser services )

You have installed the SP3.

Try to uninstall it ( the SP3 ), install your Sql Server 2008 and afterwards only, reinstall the SP3 of XP. It seems that the SP3 is coming with new rules of security which may be annoying in case of some Sql Server configurations

But before, try to use an sysadmin account ( admin of the computer ) for your services before uninstalling the SP3

Have a nice day

Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:19 PM
  • I am encountering the same issue as Steven01025 and AliCatBrat reported and have tried all of the suggestions, none have worked and yield the same error. My last attempt was unistalling XP SP3 and that made no difference

Has anyone come up with a solution ? I am very anxious to get this resolved and have put countless hours into failed install attempts

Any known resolution would be very much appreciated, thanks !
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:28 PM
  • Hi, I've been fighting the same problem as you and have even come across the different posts you made on various sites about a month ago. Did you come up with a resolution, fix, work around or anything to get this installed ? If you have and could share it with me, I'd appreciate it a ton, thanks, Dave
    Monday, December 29, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Same  me. No solution currently found

-- Vista Ultimate, German version
    -- RC0 was previously installed and ran Ok for months
    -- Did a total manual registry cleanup and tried 8 times in different variations, including an Ini-Based one
    -- It's not my first SQL install; I probably have done this 50 times in my life,

Only solution for me is to install a Virtual PC with Server 2003 on the same machine, where install works as usual without problems.

Dieter

Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:26 PM
  • I was having the same problem for a week, then I solved like this:
    - create a new login: sa
    - give it a very complex password: 123ebT3@aa1=0
    - reboot the computer and log in as "sa"
    - install a new instance of SQL Server 2008, using sa and its password
    Now I can log even with my old user, even though I only have full access with the sa user.
    Hope that helps...
    Cheers
    Franklin.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 6:12 PM

Someone with a keen eye noticed that my computer name and account name were the same, and this was causing problems.  So I changed my computer name, and it installed correctly.

One other suggestion that I didn't try was to uninstall SP3 on XP and then install SQL Server 2008.  Apparently there are some security issues with SP3 and SQL Server 2008.  So if anyone else is having troubles, you could try that (along with the other solutions I tried in my original post).

I'm not sure if that will help anyone else here who is having problems, but it might help some.
    • Marked as answer by Steven01025 Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:36 PM
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:36 PM
  • Thanks a million!

I also had countless attempts to install SQL Express, and always got install failed.  Install log showed exit code 2068643839.  Error log showed Error : 15007 and " is not a valid login or you do not have permission.  Tried many, many "solutions" but none worked.  Like you, my computer name and user name were the same.  After reading your post I uninstalled SQL, changed the computer name and it installed with no problems.

Thanks again, Steven

Saturday, July 10, 2010 12:12 PM

Great. It work also for me.

Thanks.

Roberto

Monday, January 28, 2013 6:09 PM
  • THIS IS GREAT! I had the same issue and tried at least 10 different methods to get the installation working. My Account Name and Computer Name were the same too. Changed them to be different and the installation worked!

Thanks a lot!
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:32 AM
  • Same here, computer name and account was the same and the installation failed. Once I changed the name of the computer the installation completed successfully.

Frede

Thursday, September 12, 2013 5:49 AM
  • Thanks a lot Steven01025.. I was also having the same issue,i tried installing it nearly 10 times, but before the tenth time, LUCKILY  i was able to see your post related to issue that i had trouble with. So according to your post When I changed my computer name it worked. It was Simply Awesome

Thanks again Steven.

Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:44 PM
  • had the same issue, my computer name was the same to my username:   http://www.sqlpentruincepatori.ro/is-not-a-valid-login-or-you-dont-have-permission/
    Monday, May 26, 2014 8:42 AM
  • this hostname changed works for me, i had the issue withSQL SERVER 2008 R2 on windows 10

thanks a lot

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 6:50 PM
  • Yes, it work for me. I was modified my pc name by Atelier and they are the message is-not-a-valid-login-or-you-dont-have-permission on the sql server 2008 installation. After rename my pc by Atelier-PC in the propertie system, delete and reinstall sql server 2008 it work for me :-)

Saturday, October 14, 2017 3:58 PM
  • No sh*t....this works as the solution. Thanks for sharing
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:24 PM
  • It was the solution for me.

Thank you very much!

Monday, August 27, 2018 6:14 PM