none
Adding named instance of SQL Server 2005 failed - "Error Locating Server/Instance Specified"

Question

• We are trying to add a named instance to our Windows 2003 R2 x64 SP1/SQL Server 2005 SP3 server.  It has been running for about 3 years now with a single (default) instance.  When trying to add a named instance, it fails when it gets to the point where it is Updating System Databases - "SQL Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration.  The error was:[Microsoft][SQL Native Client]SQL Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF]. Refer to server error logs..."  We are using the local service account for both the default and new named instance.  Allow Remote Connections to This Server is enabled on the default instance. 

In Services, the new SQL Server service has started, but I cannot start the SQL Server Agent - it says it started and then stopped.  I cannot access the instance with SMS.  I rebooted the server and tried the process again with identical results.  I have successfully added a new instance to my test SQL Server using the same install files. Can anyone shed some light in this issue?  Thanks.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 3:46 PM

Answers

• Is the SQL browser service up and running?

Any aliases created for the new named instance beign created?

• Marked as answer by dbeers Friday, October 29, 2010 3:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:46 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Is the SQL browser service up and running?

Any aliases created for the new named instance beign created?

• Marked as answer by dbeers Friday, October 29, 2010 3:21 PM
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:46 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I'd like to have a look at setup logs, please post the setup summary.txt and verbose logs indicated in summary.txt.

The summary.txt usually locates at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\Log. For more information, refer to How to: View SQL Server 2005 Setup Logs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143702(sql.90).aspx)

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Vijay - the Browser was disabled.  Thanks for the tip.
    Friday, October 29, 2010 3:23 PM