none
How to view Warnings in Report Builder 3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I am getting the following error when trying to save an SSRS report:

An unexpected error occurred while compiling expressions. Native compiler return value: ‘[BC42206] Maximum number of warnings has been exceeded.

Where / how can I view the warnings if I am using Report Builder 3?

Thank you in advance!

• Edited by yosedesh Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:12 AM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 7:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Yosedesh,

I don't think you could review the warnings in Report Builder.

This error was raised from Visual Basic, when the warnings and errors were over 100. 

I think to diagnose this, we could look in the report.  Did you have complicated custom code or expression in the report?

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 2:08 AM
  • Hi Lukas:

Thanks for your reply!

I do have custom code and expressions in the report.  However, I'm not sure if that's what's causing the issues.

This basically occurred as I was trying to copy and paste several SSRS components from one report to another report.  I am merging two reports into one.

I was copying a rectangle that had various text boxes and images (several that had expressions and custom code to determine the text, visibility, color, etc.). 

Report Builder does not allow you to save the file when there are errors (such as the BC42206 error).  To figure out which component was causing the issue, I saved the file after cutting and pasting only a few components at a time.  The weird part is that I kept getting the error if I copied and pasted everything at once.  However, if I pasted everything all at once, and then cut out some components, save the file, paste a few components back in, save the file, and keep doing this until all of the components are back in, the file will save successfully (without any other changes being made).

I came across someone who ran into a similar issue:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/29482e9f-15a6-47f7-b314-873435ad1594/reporting-services-compiler-error?forum=sqlreportingservices

I tried making sure that all of the components had unique names but still encountered the issue.  The only way around it was to copy and paste a few components at a time.

It'd be nice to be able to see Warnings in Report Builder so that we might be able to find out which component is having issues.  Similar to how Warnings in VS / SSDT enables us to address (potential) issues, having  Warnings in Report Builder will also be beneficial.

Are there plans to enable users to view Warnings in Report Builder?

Friday, July 19, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Hi yosedesh,

Report Builder is mean to be a light weighted report design tool, so I am not clear if this kind of debug feature would be added into it.

You could try use SSDT with this case. It offers more capability and flexibility.

If you really need this feature, I suggest you submit the requirement at https://feedback.azure.com/forums/908035-sql-server.

If the requirement mentioned by customers for many times, the product team may consider to add this feature in the next SQL Server version. Your feedback is valuable for us to improve our products and increase the level of service provided.

Lukas

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click Mark as Answer; the responses that resolved your issue, and to click Unmark as Answer if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 22, 2019 1:38 AM