none
Cannot connect to database master at SQL server at "SERVERNAME" RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed SQL 2008 R2 in a fresh win 2008 R2. I’m running the sharepoint configuration Wizard using the database server name with the correct domain credentials but I get the following error message. “Cannot connect to database master at SQL server at SERVERNAME. The database might not exist, or the current user does not have permission to connect”

I‘m able to login to the new SQL server using the “SQL server management studio” with no problems. I used the sa account and a domain account.

The sharepoint server is also a new installation. And both servers have the firewall disabled.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Simon
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Simon,

>>I‘m able to login to the new SQL server using the “SQL server management studio” with no problems.
    Did you connect to the SQL Server instance remotely or locally? Could you please try to connect SQL Server instance by SQL Server Management studio on any other computer to see it works or not? If it does not work, then it might be the remote connection issue. Please have a look this blog to enable remote connection in SQL Server 2008:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/walzenbach/archive/2010/04/14/how-to-enable-remote-connections-in-sql-server-2008.aspx

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by ITPrezz Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:52 PM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 2:48 AM
  • I logged into the sharepoint server using the sql credentials then i executed the SP wizard and it started working. thanks steph.
    Simon
    • Marked as answer by ITPrezz Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:54 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:54 PM

All replies