none
Pivot table option gray in PowerPivot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm new to PowerPivot and after checking various forums about it , I found out that its really good tool to handle large data with millions of rows and to still be in the comfort of Excel workspace. I decided to work with a data in .txt with almost 2 millions rows and 250 MB in size. I used power-query to import the .txt file and added it to data model. Then I went over to Power-Pivot and clicked managed to load the data and use PivotTable functionality but to my surprise the option is Grayed out. I cannot create Pivot table report from there. Any suggestions for this issue? could this be bcoz of any data type ?

Friday, March 30, 2018 3:19 AM

All replies

• What version of Excel are you using? Excel 2013 you must add a pivot table from the power pivot window, not the Excel window

Self Service BI Expert using Power Pivot http://exceleratorbi.com.au

Friday, March 30, 2018 6:46 AM
    Answerer
  • What version of Excel are you using? Excel 2013 you must add a pivot table from the power pivot window, not the Excel window

Self Service BI Expert using Power Pivot http://exceleratorbi.com.au

Yes, yes. That's exactly what I'm trying to do to get my desired results but the Pivot Table is "Grayed" out in the Power pivot window. I searched many forums but didn't see any such reported incidents.
    Friday, March 30, 2018 3:11 PM
  • I should have uploaded a screenshot as well to make myself understand better but my account is new and limited so I cannot upload images.

Almost 2 million rows of data. I inserted in a data model and then clicked managed in PowerPivot to open it but the option of Pivot Table is "greyed" out so I cannot do any operation based on it.

Friday, March 30, 2018 3:54 PM
  • If you work with fewer rows.  Will you then be able to insert the table?
    Saturday, March 31, 2018 6:55 AM
  • I should have uploaded a screenshot as well to make myself understand better but my account is new and limited so I cannot upload images.

Almost 2 million rows of data. I inserted in a data model and then clicked managed in PowerPivot to open it but the option of Pivot Table is "greyed" out so I cannot do any operation based on it.

Hi ank707,

Thanks for your question.

I can not reproduce this issue as you said. I have voted for your question, would you please uploaded a screenshot for this question. Thanks for your understanding and supporting.

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, April 2, 2018 1:33 AM