none
SSRS report avoid font embedding in PDF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have SSRS report 2008 R2. When we render report to PDF from client side the true type font(Arial) is embedded when the content has Pound symbol(£). Found some article in MSDN blogs to disable font embedding when changing the config file(https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/mariae/2010/04/12/how-to-disable-this-font-embedding-in-reporting-services-2005-service-pack-3/). 

But my problem is, there are lot of applications/customers using the same SSRS report server. So we cant update/change anything in Server side. 

So please advise me to resolve this issue to Switch off font embedding from client side rendering or sub folder configuration for SSRS report settings.

Ruled out steps:-

1. Cannot able to change SSRS report config file.

2. Cannot able to change font type for all the .rdl files, since I have more than 100 files.

Thanks in advance!.

Friday, January 5, 2018 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Karthi_DeTeam,

According to your description, it seems that you don't want to embed the font in PDF. As I know, the embedded font need to meet the following conditions:

1. Font embedding privileges are granted by the font author. Installed fonts include a property that indicates whether the font author intends to allow embedding a font in a document. If the property value is EMBED_NOEMBEDDING, the font is not embedded in the PDF file.
    2. The Font is TrueType.
    3. Fonts are referenced by visible items in a report. If a font is referenced by an item that has the Hidden property set to True, the font is not needed to display rendered data and will not be included in the file. Fonts are embedded only when they are needed to display the rendered report data.

You could set font in your computer not meet above conditions, then you might disable the embedded properties in PDF.

Best Regards,
    Zoe Zhi

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 8, 2018 5:31 AM