none
fact table design question RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have created a factSales table with dimDate, dimCustomer, dimProduct, dimSalesPerson tables.  The dimensions are all joined with surrogate integer identity PK fields which serve as the composite key in the fact table.

It is possible for the same customer to place multiple orders for the same product from the same sales person on the same date.  When this happens it seems to me that only the last order will be stored in the fact table.  I want to have a row for each order.  How would one design a fact table to accomplish this.  The only truly unique piece of data from the OLTP is the sales order number.

factSales:

PK DateKey, int

PK CustomerKey, int

PK ProductKey, int

PK SalesPersonKey, int

Amount

UnitCost

Weight

ShippingCost

dimDate

PK DateKey, int, identity

SalesDate

dimCustomer

PK CustomerKey, int, identity

CustomerName

Address

dimProduct

PK ProductKey, int, identity

Product#

ProductName

DimSalesPerson

PK SalesPersonKey, int, idnetity

SalesPersonName

Dept

StartDate

EndDate

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 12:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You'll need to stick another key on the fact to make each row unique.  Even if it is something simple like a count

e.g.

FK DateKey, int

FK CustomerKey, int

FK ProductKey, int

FK SalesPersonKey, int

FK OrderNumberOfTheDay, int

measures ...

If possible a time stamp might be another way, I am assuming though that the different orders happen at different times of the day.  But basically another key in your ETL process will fix that problem.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You'll need to stick another key on the fact to make each row unique.  Even if it is something simple like a count

e.g.

FK DateKey, int

FK CustomerKey, int

FK ProductKey, int

FK SalesPersonKey, int

FK OrderNumberOfTheDay, int

measures ...

If possible a time stamp might be another way, I am assuming though that the different orders happen at different times of the day.  But basically another key in your ETL process will fix that problem.

Hope that helps,

Matt

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:00 PM
  • Thanks Matt.  I was going to just add the sales order # as it is unique but I didn't want to violate and conventions that might cause problems down the line. 

Thanks again!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:39 PM
  • Hi John

Matt is right in that you should simply bring through the Sales Order Number then your DSV design will take care of the aggregation

Alternatively, unless you need to analyse the data by the Sales Order Number, (which some might argue you should use your OLTP for) you could aggregate the facts in your fact table ETL load process.  This can increase performance both in processing the cube and queries if you have a lot of data

If you want to use any drillthrough functionality then keep the Sales Order Number in.

HTH

Tim

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Thanks Tim.

I had also considered that possibility.  My actual OLTP/OLAP is more complex than I showed (I tried to keep it simple for this example).  I would have to join several dozen records in order to aggregate the data and I may have a sales order record which does not yet have a ship date which will  be the key date slicer.  I can load my fact table with a pointer to a 0 date key or just skip SO records without a ship date (my next task to figure out); it would be very complex to aggregate them.  Plus I was already storing the SO# in my fact table on the likely probability the users will want to drill back to the original table.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:36 PM
  • Hey Matt,

Can you please tell me where are these fact tables created and stored in PerformancePoint Server 2007?

Thanks

Mils

Monday, October 15, 2007 11:01 AM
  • Hi,

It's an area I've not covered yet, you could try posting to:

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=517&SiteID=17

One of the Adatis boys might be able to help you out.

Sorry I can't be much more help

Matt

Monday, October 15, 2007 11:21 AM
  • Hi Mils

(And thanks Matt!)

When you submit data it is first submitted to the Service Broker queue and then written to a table MGMeasuregroupName (where the measure group name corresponds to the name of the model you are working with) in the database ApplicationName (which is the name of the database you specified when setting up the Application and usually corresponds to the name of the PPS Application you are working with).

It is then processed into the cubes at regular intervals (set in the planning console)

HTH

Tim K

http://blogs.adatis.co.uk

http://www.adatis.co.uk

Monday, October 15, 2007 11:31 AM