none
Migrate SQL AG node 1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Need your guidance to understand, I have two nodes always-on cluster in one Environment and want to migrate it to a new environment. these nodes will be migrated through V2V migration using a tool called Zerto, I beleive V2V will migrate everything same what is in the VM but my question here is, in the new environment what changes needs to be done on AD level to make cluster or Always on up and running. ?

SQL Server DBA

• Edited by Zeal DBA Monday, January 14, 2019 6:45 AM
    Monday, January 14, 2019 6:42 AM

All replies

• I have no idea with Zerto and your question is more suited for AD forum. Did you/your team made sure the current environment is same as this one. If the AD is changing( or is it same ?) in new environment the current AG would not work as WSFC would not work. You need to give more details.

If it is changing it is better to move the cluster Via Distributed AG migration method

Need lot of information to help you. What exactly does this tool Zerto does ?, I also believe if domain is changing this tool is hardly of any use.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, January 14, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Thanks, Shashank for the reply,

yes.. AD is changing domain is changing, the machine will be migrated as is with all SQL setup and databases.

SQL Server DBA

• Edited by Zeal DBA Monday, January 14, 2019 7:10 AM
    Monday, January 14, 2019 7:07 AM

yes.. AD is changing domain is changing, the machine will be migrated as is with all SQL setup and databases.

SQL Server DBA

Monday, January 14, 2019 7:31 AM

SQL Server DBA

In that case after migration WSFC will not work in new domain so AG would not work. What you can do is create a new AG in new domain (exactly like you have in current domain) then configure distributed AG after you have done it failover database to new AG, you have your database migrated to new domain without much downtime(a very little dowmtime). Later remove the old AG.

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, January 14, 2019 7:36 AM
  • Shashank,

please think from a simple perspective, downtime is not a problem, DAG is ruled out. AG and SQL setup will be there AS IS so I don't want to create it newly only I have to configure supportive cluster changes to keep the cluster running.

SQL Server DBA

Monday, January 14, 2019 7:57 AM

•  I have to configure supportive cluster changes to keep the cluster running.

What do you mean by Supportive cluster changes, what changes exactly ?

Do you know that before Windows server 2019 it is not possible to move cluster to different domain without destroying and recreating cluster ?

How are you going to make sure WSFC comes online after moving to new domain. Leave SQL Server and AG they run atop WSFC so unless that comes online others are moot point.

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, January 14, 2019 8:04 AM
  • so the only solution is to create a new cluster and create new AG from scratch.

SQL Server DBA

Monday, January 14, 2019 11:10 AM
  • so the only solution is to create a new cluster and create new AG from scratch.

SQL Server DBA

Yes this is how I see it. 

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, January 14, 2019 11:15 AM
  • In addition to the advice you have already, I would just like to add that you performing a side by side migration is probably the best thing for you to do and will give the least amount of downtime.

Please be aware that once your new AG cluster is ready (albeit without actually creating the AG yet) you could save migration time by prestaging (what will become) the primary and secondary replicas. Once you are ready to move over you would just need to ship one last log (or logs) backups. Then you would be able to create your availability group.

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.
    Microsoft Certified Master | Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Contact me through twitter | blog | sqlcloud

Please click "Propose as answer" if a post solves your problem
    or/and vote the post up if it has been helpful.

Interested in attending a free training? Why not attend SQLSaturday Cambridge and SharePoint Saturday Cambridge? And why not check out my Ultimate Training Resources Page?

Monday, January 14, 2019 11:29 AM
  • Downtime is not a concern here, I am just curious to understand right approach to get this done, so far I understood that once I complete V2V of my SQL nodes, I have to create a new cluster in the new domain and add migrated nodes in it? it is the only possible solution to keep both nodes in AG and cluster? 

If you can elaborate what have you suggested in detailed steps will be really helpful.

SQL Server DBA

Monday, January 14, 2019 12:57 PM
  • Personally I'd only ever bring in clean nodes because I wouldn't want to risk anything. However if hardware is an issue you could run a 1 node cluster to start with and remove, rebuild, and use your secondary replica as your new domain primary. That would atill allow side by side migration. If anything goes wrong, you still have your existing 1 node replica.

You'd do something like the following, but please also DYOR to be safe.

1. Full backup your databases with verify 
    2. Stop apps talking to databases
    3. Take log backup of your databases with verify
    4. Remove your secondary replica from your AG
    5. Remove the secondary replica node from your Windows Cluster (i.e evict)
    6. Rebuild Windows Server under new domain
    7. Create new one node cluster for this node
    8. Install SQL Server using correct domain credentials
    9. Enable Availability Groups for SQL for instance
    10. Perform restores of databases to new domain sql instance with recovery (this is set to become your new primary availability group)
    11. Create availability group

Once the above is all working and validated you can decommission the old server, and destroy the old avilability group, cluster, and perform steps 6, 7 (you are actually adding this new node to cluster), 8, 9, 10 (you should backup up and restore from your new primary onto your new secondary with norecovery).

Finally join the instance to the availability group and join the databases.

Easy right :)

Regards,
    Mark Broadbent.
    Microsoft Certified Master | Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Contact me through twitter | blog | sqlcloud

Please click "Propose as answer" if a post solves your problem
    or/and vote the post up if it has been helpful.

Interested in attending a free training? Why not attend SQLSaturday Cambridge and SharePoint Saturday Cambridge? And why not check out my Ultimate Training Resources Page?

Monday, January 14, 2019 3:45 PM
  • Downtime is not a concern here, I am just curious to understand right approach to get this done, so far I understood that once I complete V2V of my SQL nodes, I have to create a new cluster in the new domain and add migrated nodes in it? it is the only possible solution to keep both nodes in AG and cluster? 

If you can elaborate what have you suggested in detailed steps will be really helpful.

SQL Server DBA

You do not need to perform V2V you first need to understand that you would have to create new cluster without that migration is not going to happen. As i said before your tool is not going to help.

Apart from what Mark has suggested you can also build new WSFC with 2 nodes in other domain.

After you are done install SQL Server on both nodes and enable HADR from SQL Server configuration manager.

Now you can either configure Distributed AG or configure Log shipping between Primary of current AG and the new node. You can choose any one node.

After Logshipping is done Stop Application and all LS jobs

Copy any transaction log backup which is there on Old server and still not moved to new

Now bring Database on new WSFC online by restoring logs.

So you now have database in new WSFC.

Configure AG with other node in new WSFC.

Clear?

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Monday, January 14, 2019 4:32 PM